Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Concession Lease Settlement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Westport selectmen approve $275,000 settlement to end Hooked on the Sound concession lease
Summary
The Board of Selectmen on Jan. 9 approved a $275,000 settlement letting Hooked on the Sound LLC end its concession lease for Compo Beach-area pavilions; town staff will issue a new RFP and consider shorter, performance-linked contracts.
Get email alerts on the Concession Lease Settlement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Westport Board of Selectmen voted Jan. 9 to approve a settlement agreement that ends the town's concession lease with Hooked on the Sound LLC and authorizes a $275,000 payout to the vendor. The vote was 2-0 after a brief presentation and public comment.
Parks and recreation director Eric Barbieri told the board the $275,000 figure largely compensates the operator for equipment and safety upgrades it installed and for a portion of anticipated lost revenue. "We ended up getting 275,000, a payout to Hooks primarily for their equipment expenses that they put into the facility and the facility upgrades, that they put in to make it code compliant, which comes to about a 182,000," Barbieri said. He added the balance reflects lost opportunity costs under the remaining term of the lease.
Barbieri said settlement was chosen over litigation because a court outcome could leave the town worse off or extend the operator's rights for additional years. He told the board Hooked had already signed the settlement, which he described as time-sensitive, and recommended quick approval so the town could move on.
The administration said it is preparing a new request for proposals for a concession operator. Barbieri recommended a shorter initial term and performance measures to allow the town earlier recourse if expectations are not met: "I personally feel that 5 years is too long as a minimum starting point. I think a 3 year, you know, 3 years for somebody to come in, run an operation... and by the time we get to year 3, we have something that we'd like," he said.
Residents who spoke in public comment generally supported ending the contract but raised concerns about vendor vetting and continuity of service. Bridal Pearson said she supported exiting the agreement but asked whether a new vendor would be ready by May 1; Barbieri said at least four or five vendors had made informal inquiries and that temporary options such as food trucks or staff-run concessions could cover the shoulder season. Jenny Salvej told the board she had raised concerns in earlier years about Hooked's background, including unpaid taxes in another state and customer complaints, and urged tighter RFP vetting going forward. Barbieri acknowledged past complaints but did not provide additional details in the meeting.
Several speakers asked about exclusivity at Compo Beach and how a new vendor's rights would affect nearby businesses. Barbieri said the concession would be exclusive at the contracted locations so the vendor could operate a viable business and that the contract would include language to allow the town to run its own special events and to define property lines for enforcement.
Selectman Don moved to accept the settlement agreement; the motion was seconded by the chair and carried on a 2-0 voice vote. The board then moved to adjourn. Staff said they will finalize the settlement paperwork, circulate the new RFP to prospective vendors and consider a 3-year base term with a 2-year option and revenue or performance thresholds in future contracts.
The meeting adjourned after the approval. The administration said it will work with the Board of Finance as required by charter provisions on leases and will provide updates as the RFP process proceeds.
