Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Health Alerts topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Northborough health board warns about infant-formula botulism recall; reviews pantry efforts and local permits
Summary
The Board of Health briefed residents on a national infant-formula botulism outbreak tied to a branded product, reported no Massachusetts cases, noted two local stores removed the product, and also updated the community on the food pantry and a forthcoming hotel opening.
Get email alerts on the Public Health Alerts topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
At the Nov. 18 meeting the Northborough Board of Health provided a local update on a national outbreak of infant botulism linked to a branded infant formula and shared community-service news.
An unnamed staff member said federal and state agencies were urging families not to use the implicated product and recommended that parents who had fed the formula to an infant save labels and lot numbers and contact their pediatrician if symptoms appeared. The presenter reported that as of Nov. 14 there were 23 confirmed cases in 13 states and that town staff had conducted recall-effectiveness checks at two local stores, which had already removed the product from shelves.
Board members discussed clinical presentation and testing, noting hospitalizations in some reported cases and that further testing on unopened product is ongoing. The board recommended monitoring infants who consumed the product for 30 days and seeking immediate care for any symptoms.
Separately, staff reported the town food pantry remains active, the board is supporting a local food drive and assisting with SNAP benefit reinstatement outreach; volunteers including Boy Scouts have helped with collections. Staff also said the Spark Hotel near the former Mexican restaurant has nearly completed permitting and is expected to open shortly.
The board approved prior meeting minutes, conducted routine business and adjourned the meeting by voice vote.

