Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Works Sidewalks topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City begins monthlong sidewalk grinding to fix tripping hazards; contractor, cost and scope detailed
Summary
City administrators said sidewalk grinding will begin next week under a contract awarded last year to Precision Concrete for about $170,000 to address nearly 2,000 uplifted sidewalk locations in the commercial core; work is expected to take about a month and will use posted notices.
Get email alerts on the Public Works Sidewalks topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City officials announced Jan. 9 that sidewalk grinding to remove tripping hazards will begin next week under a contract the City Council awarded late last year.
"The City Council awarded a contract for about $170,000 to do, just under 2,000 individual places around the commercial core district where the sidewalks, the concrete sidewalks are uplifted anything over a quarter inch," Acting City Administrator Brandon Swanson said. He identified Precision Concrete as the contractor and said crews will work in short, localized operations so most repairs take five to 15 minutes each.
Swanson and Acting Assistant City Administrator Marissa Bermudez said public works staff and the public works director, Ken Waisakhi, have been posting notices along Ocean Avenue and other affected blocks. Residents should expect brief noisy work at individual locations; Swanson estimated the full scope will take about a month to complete.
The project targets raised concrete that creates trip hazards (anything over a quarter inch). Swanson said the city will systematically move through nearly 2,000 identified locations and that crews will place signs and alerts in advance of work in each area.
The contract award itself occurred at the end of last year; no new council vote was taken during the Jan. 9 briefing. Residents seeking specific location timing were directed to the city website for weekly plans and updates.

