Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Finance Budget topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Millbrae trustees review proposed 2025–26 budget; approve year‑end transfers, Education Protection Account and staffing declaration

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Business officials presented a conservative proposed 2025–26 budget amid state revenue uncertainty. The board approved a resolution authorizing year‑end interfund transfers, a resolution on Education Protection Account spending, and the annual declaration of need for fully qualified educators.

Millbrae Elementary School District officials presented a proposed budget for the 2025–26 school year on Tuesday and the Board of Trustees approved several fiscal and personnel items, including authorizations for year‑end fund transfers and Education Protection Account spending.

Mary (Chief Business Officer) and Sue Kim, Director of Business Services, reviewed budget assumptions tied to the governor’s May revision and economic uncertainty. They reported a proposed budget built on conservative assumptions: a 2.3 percent COLA for 2025–26, projected revenue near $33.2 million across funds, and a combined general‑fund ending balance of about $9,975,226 in the presented multi‑year projection. The trustees heard that one‑time grants and reductions in rent and donations were among factors restraining revenue growth.

The board approved three formal items by voice vote with motions that carried: a resolution authorizing the San Mateo County Superintendent of Schools to make budgetary transfers at year‑end (Resolution 24‑5‑12); a resolution authorizing use of the district’s Education Protection Account funds (Resolution 24‑5‑13); and the district’s annual Declaration of Need for Fully Qualified Educators, which identifies small, planned allowances for fully credentialed staff who might teach outside their credential area if necessary. Board members also approved the consent agenda earlier in the meeting by voice vote.

Why it matters: the budget and these resolutions determine how the district will allocate restricted and unrestricted funds, preserve reserves, and maintain compliance with state requirements as the district moves toward a formal budget adoption date.

Highlights and context: presenters said ongoing concerns include possible higher healthcare costs (other districts have reported increases near 17 percent) and lower state revenue projections tied to broader economic uncertainty. The business office said the district remains “basic aid” at present but is planning conservatively as if LCFF funding were in place. The proposed budget includes staffing additions, projected increases in benefits and an assumption about enrollment and unduplicated pupil percentage remaining roughly level.

The board also discussed Prop 28 arts funding and related hiring challenges: Prop 28 requires about 80 percent of the funds go to hiring teachers (limit that has made it difficult locally to meet direct‑hire requirements), so districts sometimes use contracted partners for music and arts instruction. The presenters said sites will receive allocations and principals will work with human resources to hire or contract for services as appropriate.

On facilities and summer projects, facilities director Rudy and the superintendent said larger projects are progressing through RFQ/RFP processes that lengthen timelines; some visible summer classroom refresh work such as carpet or painting may be limited this year, and staff will report back with a summer facilities calendar.

Ending: staff said the district will return with LCAP and the adopted budget for board action on June 17 and will update any changes after the state budget is finalized.