Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Oxnard council renews authorization for police military-equipment inventory, approves new launchers and rifles
Summary
The City Council received the police department’s annual military-equipment report and approved continued authorization for listed items, including 40mm projectile launchers and replacement rifles; the measure passed unanimously.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Oxnard City Council unanimously approved the Police Department’s annual military-equipment use report on May 20 and renewed authorization for the department’s inventory under California Government Code rules.
Police Chief Jason Benitez and Special Operations Commander Steve Trickle presented the report, which inventoryed equipment categories the state considers “military equipment.” The report covered past-year deployments, oversight practices and training protocols and requested authorization for additional items and replacements: five 40mm projectile launchers and 24 replacement 2.23-caliber patrol/SWAT rifles. The police department said purchases would be funded through existing sources identified in the department’s equipment account and forfeiture funds, not by a new general-fund appropriation.
Commander Trickle described the operational difference between the department’s existing 12-gauge beanbag shotguns and the 40mm launchers: the 40mm projectile is designed to provide a more effective intermediate force option at recommended stand-off distances, and to increase accuracy and range while reducing risk in certain scenarios. Benitez and staff emphasized that each deployment is reviewed by supervisors and a force-options unit; use-of-force incidents generate a package that includes body-worn camera footage and statements for professional-standards review.
The report also described armored rescue vehicles that the department uses for officer and civilian extraction in high-risk incidents, and it outlined policy and record-keeping practices for drones and other equipment. Chief Benitez said the department follows body-camera and documentation protocols and that drone footage and other records are subject to public-records rules. The department also told council that a separate, previously-authorized drone-first-responder program would appear in next year’s inventory once the drone nests and hardware are fully in service.
After public comment in favor of equipping officers with tools to maintain safety, the council voted 7–0 to receive the report, renew the military-equipment policy, and authorize the specified equipment acquisitions and continued use.
The Police Department will continue to provide annual reports and will return to council for any future additions not included in the current authorization.

