Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Unifil Attack topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
U.N. condemns attack on UNIFIL convoy near Beirut airport; two peacekeepers injured
Summary
The U.N. said an attack on a UNIFIL convoy near Beirut Airport injured two peacekeepers and set a vehicle ablaze; the Lebanese government and UNIFIL have opened investigations.
Get email alerts on the Unifil Attack topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The United Nations strongly condemned an attack on a UNIFIL convoy near Beirut airport on Friday that injured two peacekeepers and set one vehicle ablaze, the U.N. spokesperson said Wednesday.
One injured peacekeeper was the deputy force commander; the spokesperson said both injured personnel were treated and released from hospital the following day. Major General Chuck Dakal, who had been ending his tour of duty, was injured and has since returned safely to Nepal.
The Lebanese government has opened an investigation and UNIFIL has launched its own internal inquiry into the circumstances of the attack, the U.N. said. The spokesperson reiterated that attacks on U.N. personnel and property violate international law and are unacceptable.
No suspects or motives were announced during the briefing.

