Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Seabright Bridge topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Seabright merchants press council to open Murray Street Bridge to two-way traffic

Santa Cruz City Council · January 29, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Seabright business owners told the City Council that single-direction bridge traffic and a new 'no turn on red' sign are hurting sales; speakers described drops of around 20% and delivered a petition of 1,173 signatures asking the city to reopen the bridge to two-way traffic and limit summer closures.

Several Seabright business owners and community members told the City Council the temporary traffic configuration at the Murray Street Bridge is harming local businesses and urged officials to prioritize two-way traffic and minimize summer closures.

“Seabright is kind of a little bit out of the way,” said Patrice Boyle, a Seabright business owner. Boyle described flat or declining sales in 2025 and said she collected 1,173 petition signatures asking the city to open the bridge to two-way traffic. “I'm asking for that to be done,” she said.

Other merchants and residents echoed Boyle’s request in chambers and online, saying summer months drive most revenue and asking staff to exhaust all options to avoid a full summer closure. One merchant estimated sales were down roughly 20% versus the prior year and said that two-way traffic and avoiding extended summer closures would be “huge” for small businesses.

Tracy Bliss, a Seabright historian, thanked the city for prior investments that improved access and urged the council to maintain long-term commitment to the area’s historic character while supporting economic vitality. Residents also raised a separate concern about a recently installed ‘no turn on red’ sign that they said is causing local bottlenecks.

Councilmembers listened and acknowledged the comments; staff and the city manager had previously confirmed they were exploring options to reopen the bridge to two-way traffic. No formal council policy action was taken during public comment; council members encouraged staff follow-up and continued engagement with Seabright stakeholders.