Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

MedStar tells Brandon council it remains primary 911 provider, outlines financial strain with county dispute

Brandon City Council · February 4, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

MedStar owner Jay Major told the council MedStar still operates locally with six ambulances and detailed a gap between billed charges and collections; he said the company is in dispute with the county over recognition/contracting and asked council to follow up with city staff.

Jay Major, owner of MedStar in Brandon, told the Brandon City Council during public comment that MedStar remains the city’s 911 ambulance provider and that his service is operating a six‑ambulance fleet in the area.

Major described tight finances for local ambulance operations, saying MedStar billed roughly $1,300,000 for emergency calls last year but collected about $445,000 — “about 35%” of what was billed — and noted billing mixes include Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance and cash. He told the council he supplements 911 operations from his other businesses and said staffing experience at his service is high: “I think our average right now is probably 12 and a half, 13 years of experience on average,” he said.

Major said he is engaged in separate disputes with the county over recognition and contracting for services and advised council members to speak with Brian (city staff) for details. He asked the council and the community to know that “MedStar is your 911 provider” and added, “we’re not going anywhere.”

Council members thanked Major for the update; one councilor described having received prompt service during a recent call. Major requested that any questions about county dealings be routed through Brian, who he said is already informed about the issues.

The public comment drew no formal council action beyond the acknowledgment and thanks; Major’s remarks served as an update and a public assertion that MedStar will continue local 911 coverage.