Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Environment And Trees topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Vice president raises alarm after city crew reportedly heavily prunes heritage oak in Belvedere Park

Pensacola City Council · December 8, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Vice President Breyer reported that a heritage oak in Belvedere Park was severely pruned, apparently without permission, by a group working for the city; she urged staff to better protect trees and ensure work follows arborist guidance.

Vice President Breyer told colleagues she and neighbors discovered that a large, heritage oak in Belvedere Park had been heavily and improperly pruned over the holiday week. Breyer said limbs that previously formed a canopy were "chopped" and that the pruning did not follow arboricultural best practices.

"It was pretty devastating," Breyer said, adding that area residents contacted police and neighborhood groups. She said the work appeared to have been done by "a group that works for the city" and that they "supposedly did not have any permission to do such a thing. They didn't do it in a way that is, an arborist would approve." Breyer urged the city to be "extra cognizant" about protecting trees after investing in canopy restoration and an upcoming tree‑planting program.

Council members acknowledged the damage and Breyer’s concerns; no formal investigation or disciplinary action was announced during the conference. Breyer’s remarks placed the issue on the council’s radar for follow up by staff.