Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Litigation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Former Sweetwater mayor files $3 million lawsuit against city, special counsel says
Summary
City special counsel reported a lawsuit filed by former mayor Orlando Lopez seeking approximately $3,000,000; counsel said the case has been filed but not yet served and insurance counsel is reviewing the complaint.
Get email alerts on the Litigation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City special counsel told the commission on Dec. 23 that former mayor Orlando Lopez filed a lawsuit against the City of Sweetwater seeking roughly $3,000,000.
Cesar Mesri of the law firm Castesi Lopez Mesri and Cobiella, retained as special counsel, said the lawsuit had been filed as of last week but, to his knowledge, had not yet been served. "I believe the pleadings say they're asking for $3,000,000," Mesri said. He added that insurance counsel has been notified and is evaluating next steps.
City attorney and commissioners said they preferred to discuss legal strategy offline because the matter is active; Mesri said nothing substantive has yet occurred on the docket.
No further details about the grounds of the complaint were provided at the open meeting; commissioners reacted with momentary banter and the mayor asked for more information to be supplied in closed or follow‑up briefings as warranted.

