Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety Grants topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Nashville council approves downtown public-safety grants after heated public hearing over surveillance

Metropolitan Council of Nashville and Davidson County · January 20, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After an extended public hearing with dozens of residents, the Metropolitan Council approved a package of state- and private-funded downtown safety grants and related agreements that fund replacement cameras, a mobile command post, a tactical support post and an armored rescue vehicle; opponents warned the equipment could enable surveillance and be used against immigrants and unhoused people.

The Metropolitan Council on Tuesday approved a set of measures to accept state and private funding for downtown public-safety equipment, including replacement video cameras, a mobile command post, a tactical support post and an armored rescue vehicle.

Council members heard more than two hours of public testimony before voting. Residents and organizers repeatedly told council that the proposed uses — which, as presented by sponsors, include upgraded cameras and tactical equipment — risked escalating policing and enabling collaboration with federal immigration enforcement. “The urgency of the attempt to immediately spend the money from this grant on high-tech surveillance and military equipment for MNPD is actually quite alarming,” said Eman Manad, a Metro employee and member of NOAH, during the public comment period.

Supporters of the grants, including downtown business representatives and hospitality workers, said the funds would replace existing equipment and improve response at large events. “This is state grant funding and it’s limited to very specific uses including replacing or upgrading existing equipment,” Trevor Atherton, who works with downtown hotels, told the council.

Council members debated the measures and a substitute that recharacterized some transactions as grants rather than donations and added reporting conditions requiring MNPD to provide publicly available information and crime statistics tied to the grants. Special Counsel Wilson explained the substitute: it converts a proposed monetary donation to a formal grant and adds a condition that MNPD provide public information and crime stats that the Downtown Partnership needs to meet state grant reporting requirements.

Opponents said the city should instead direct funds to housing, outreach and trauma-informed services. Many said the mayor’s office and the Downtown Partnership should not be the principal decisionmakers for how the funds are spent. Several speakers also raised concerns about transparency and accountability for data-sharing arrangements tied to surveillance equipment.

Council members who supported the measures said the grants will fund needed upgrades and are restricted to specific downtown uses. Several members said they favor stronger local oversight where possible and asked for more detailed itemization and reporting once agencies begin procurement.

Procedurally, sponsors withdrew one MOU item earlier in the meeting after committee review, and other items were amended and approved as substituted with added reporting language requiring MNPD to publish certain information related to the grants. Implementation steps now include procurement by MNPD and reporting back to council committees on specifications and data-sharing arrangements.

The council’s approval concludes the formal acceptance of these particular grants; sponsors said they will follow up with implementation details and reporting commitments to the council.