Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use Zoning topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Knoxville council narrowly OKs removal of planned-residential designation for 962 N. Gallaher View Road after heated debate

City of Knoxville City Council · December 10, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

In a 5–4 vote, Knoxville City Council approved removing a previous planned-district (C) designation from 962 North Gallaher View Road, a change neighbors said would reduce required public review. The developer said the change clarifies the path to build 32 townhomes; neighbors pressed for guaranteed special-use hearings.

Knoxville City Council voted 5–4 to remove a previously approved planned-district (C) designation from property at 962 North Gallaher View Road, a decision council members said balances property-owner rights with neighborhood input.

James Lennon, the property owner and developer, told the council the removal would give a "clear path" to develop the site and allow him to follow current codes and policies for townhomes. "Our choice is this," Lennon said, arguing the designation's removal would avoid an unclear procedural route.

Opponents, speaking for the West Hills Community Association and adjacent homeowners, said the C designation guarantees a special-use process that ensures public notice and input for development plans. "Please keep the C designation in place so that we have a seat at the table during the development process," said Larry Silverstein, citing concerns that subdivision under RN-4 could permit construction without the same level of public review.

Council members split along lines that reflected differing views of the city's 2020 transition rules. Council member Roberto said the answers from planning and law clarified that 32 townhomes could be built under planned residential and that neighbors were not asking to block development but rather to ensure public participation. Council member Bridal, who helped craft the transition rules, said those rules were intended to give property owners options for redevelopment and cautioned against tying landowners indefinitely to older approvals.

Several council members raised affordability questions. Council member Thomas noted the developer's stated price point—"about $400,000 per unit"—and said units at that level would not meet the city's affordability programs. Others emphasized that subdivision could change the process and that special-use review would apply if the parcel remained intact with nine or more units.

The council considered a motion to withdraw the item so the applicant could pursue the planned-residential path; that motion failed on a roll call. On the final roll-call vote to approve the ordinance removing the C designation, the mayor announced the tally as 5 in favor, 4 opposed. The ordinance as approved removes the planned-district designation and leaves the property subject to the RN-4 regulations and associated processes described by planning staff.

The developer said the application remains calendared for planning commission review in January on related variances and that the parcel’s future development will come back to the public process where required. Neighbors and council members said they expect further hearings and opportunities for public input during subsequent planning and special-use reviews.

The council returned to routine business following the vote; no construction permits were issued at the meeting and additional procedural steps were identified for January planning and appeals.