Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Local Government Finance topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Garfield Heights mayor announces grants, staffing and warns court move could force cuts to street projects

Garfield Heights City Council · February 10, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Mayor Matt Burke told the Feb. 9 council meeting the city received two recent grants, introduced new hires and warned that a planned municipal court move could require budget cuts that would slow street work and other services.

Mayor Matt Burke told the Garfield Heights City Council on Feb. 9 that the city recently secured grant funding and new staff but faces an uncertain budget outlook if the municipal court is moved out of the city.

"We received 2 pretty good sized grants last week," Burke said, identifying a county public-works award of $200,000 toward a $325,000 infrastructure project and an additional award of "over $50,000" from a program referenced in the record as Gopec. He said the awards will help ongoing local projects and mentioned possible solar-related work being discussed.

Burke also introduced staffing changes, saying a new officer, Matthias Chimolewski, was sworn in that day and that the city remains short by one officer. He introduced Venus Benenson as a new part-time staffer focused on community outreach, opioid-awareness education and child-abuse advocacy.

On budget risks, Burke warned council members that an anticipated relocation of the municipal court to Newburgh Heights could force the city to reallocate funds. "If we get ordered by the judges to fill the court, the supreme court will assign some sort of a mediator to come out and look at our budget," he said, adding that such a process could require cutting street work, staff or salaries to free capital for a court facility.

The mayor urged formation of a committee of the whole and a safety committee to examine street grading, budgeting and an economic development fund to support building updates and retail reinvestment. He also described several operational items intended to help residents, including a "Notify Me" video on the city website explaining how to sign up for push alerts about road closures and emergencies.

Burke notified the council that the city will change how it posts planning-and-zoning packets after a business owner reported receiving a $5,000 fraudulent invoice that appears to have used information downloaded from the city website; he said planning packets will now be provided on request to reduce exposure of personal information.

Next steps: Burke encouraged council members to expect outreach from his office for monthly meetings with each council member and asked the council to consider committee meetings to prioritize revenues and projects if budget pressures increase.