Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Hud Entitlement Grants topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Syracuse nonprofits, residents urge City to protect Year 52 HUD funding as provider flags major cut

City of Syracuse public hearing (HUD entitlement grants — Year 52) · February 11, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At a City of Syracuse public hearing on Year 52 HUD entitlement grants, nonprofits and residents urged continued CDBG, ESG and HOME support for home repairs, outreach and workforce programs; Empire Housing said it faces a $61,000 (about 55%) cut and urged restoration.

Syracuse residents and nonprofit leaders told city staff at a public hearing that federal Year 52 HUD entitlement funds are critical to keeping people housed, supporting homeless outreach and preparing residents for work — while one longtime housing provider warned a proposed 55% cut to its allocation would threaten its operations.

The meeting, convened by a City of Syracuse facilitator to gather public comments on the draft Year 52 action plan for HUD entitlement grants (community development block grant, emergency solutions grant and the HOME partnership program), drew speakers from Blueprint 15, Home Headquarters, OnPoint for College, Empire Housing and Development, the Rescue Mission, the Greater Syracuse Tenants Network, In My Father’s Kitchen, the Syracuse Northeast Community Center and the Dunbar Center.

Why it matters: The comments highlighted how CDBG and ESG funds support urgent home repairs, homelessness outreach and workforce services; advocates said cuts or a lack of planning for subsidized housing would put vulnerable residents at risk and could undermine projects that leverage millions in outside funding.

Several speakers tied program outcomes to concrete results. Jamaris Negron Carter of Home Headquarters said CDBG urgent repair funds help low-income homeowners address ‘‘critical health and safety repairs, such as failing roofs, heating systems, plumbing and electrical hazards’’ and prevent displacement. Talicia Black, Home Headquarters’ homeownership center manager, said nearly 800 people used the agency’s programs last year and 257 homebuyers were facilitated, with more than half identifying as minority or low-to-moderate-income.

Empire Housing and Development, a 31‑year partner with the city, pressed for restored funding. ‘‘In the proposed budget this year for Year 52 … Empire Housing is recommended to receive a $61,000 funding cut, which is 55% of our allocation from last year,’’ said Bob Sekowski, who described the organization’s long record of producing affordable homeownership projects. Bill Demarle, also of Empire Housing, said the agency leverages other funds and partners (including weatherization and Home Headquarters) and described roughly $1.4 million of collaborative activity in the prior year; he urged city staff to reconsider cuts to avoid threatening services.

Tenants’ advocates asked for a stronger focus on subsidized housing preservation. Sharon Sherman of the Greater Syracuse Tenants Network said the draft plan ‘‘by design . . . only dealt with private housing’’ and lacks a current compilation or needs assessment of subsidized properties (Section 8, tax-credit and HUD-assisted buildings). She warned tax-credit housing is struggling with rising insurance and workforce shortages and urged the city to analyze and preserve existing subsidized units.

Other speakers described specific program impacts: Blueprint 15 said its faith-based program produced three new homeowners and served more than 115 people in Ward 15; the Rescue Mission said ESG-funded outreach reaches approximately 100 individuals annually; In My Father’s Kitchen said ESG support enabled outreach teams and a medical van serving dozens of clients through the winter.

Next steps: The facilitator reminded attendees the public comment period remains open through Friday, March 5 at 11:59 p.m. and that the Syracuse Common Council will hold a second public hearing on the draft action plan. City staff indicated draft materials are available at the meeting and on the city website.

The hearing recorded no formal motions or votes; speakers were invited to submit additional written comments to nbdsyr@nbdsyr.gov or at the Common Council hearing.