Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Student Safety Personnel topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

New Milford board reviews student‑safety and personnel updates, approves public‑comment limits and moves to closed session

New Milford Board of Education · February 6, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Superintendent Galasso presented the twice‑yearly HIB and suspension reports, announced two high‑school retirements and recommended several administrative approvals; the board adopted a three‑minute public‑comment limit and moved into executive session to discuss student and personnel matters.

Superintendent Mister Galasso presented the district's twice‑yearly student‑safety report and a suspension summary and recommended several administrative approvals before the board moved into closed session.

Galasso said the HIB (Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying) report showed zero HIB reports at Milford High School, one at D.E.O. (investigated and unfounded), two at Berkeley (one not forwarded, one investigated and unfounded) and two at Gibbs (both investigated and unfounded). "In closed session, we'll discuss these more in‑depth," Galasso said.

The superintendent asked the board to approve the suspension report. He said Wilmer High School had one in‑school suspension (one day). At D.E.O., six students were suspended for a combined total of ten days — two served one day of in‑school suspension and four served a total of eight days out‑of‑school suspension ranging from one to three days. "Berkeley and Gibbs both had zero suspensions," he said.

Galasso also described an administrative calendar change: because the governor moved the June election to June 10, the district plans to shift a previously scheduled professional‑development day to June 10 so students remain off that day. "It doesn't make sense to do that now, so we are asking to revise the calendar and move it to June 10," he said.

On personnel, Galasso announced two high‑school retirements: "Mister Wilson," who has served more than 40 years in the district, and "Mister Jacob," a math teacher of 23 years. He said postings to fill the positions will be made soon. He also said the board is correcting pay and title for Mary de Cristoforo, who has been performing teacher duties as a paraeducator and will be paid accordingly.

Galasso asked the board to approve a revised SBJC contract to ensure speech services when in‑district staff are at capacity; he said New Milford participates in the SBJC consortium and that the district sometimes subcontracts when necessary. He recommended approving "Mister Riccadilly" as a volunteer flag‑football coach and said the program is funded through fundraising and parent transportation to away matches.

During the meeting the board adopted a time limit for public speakers under New Milford Board of Education bylaw 0167, recording a voice vote of "Aye." Later it voted to close the public‑comment period (motion moved by Nicole and seconded by Tony) and then voted to enter an executive session to discuss student, business and personnel matters (motion moved by Cheryl, seconded by Andrew). The chair said no action would be taken upon return from executive session.

The board will receive further details on the HIB reports and personnel matters during the executive session and will make any reportable actions available to the public when confidentiality no longer applies.