Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Transparency Closed Session topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

San Bernardino speakers demand release of recordings as council holds closed session on councilmember Ortiz; no reportable actions announced

Mayor and City Council of the City of San Bernardino · February 12, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents and candidates urged the San Bernardino City Council to release recordings and questioned a special closed session called over allegations involving Councilmember Ortiz. The council returned from closed session at 4:31 p.m. and the City Attorney said there were no reportable actions; Ortiz recused from items she said were hers.

San Bernardino’s mayor and city council met in a special closed session beginning at 3:02 p.m., drawing sustained public comment demanding transparency and the release of recordings tied to allegations involving Councilmember Cherry Ortiz. After returning from closed session at 4:31 p.m., the City Attorney told the council there were "no reportable actions." Ortiz had announced she would recuse herself from the two agenda items she identified as hers before the closed session.

The closed session was the focus of repeated public criticism during the comment period. Tim Prince, a lifelong resident and downtown attorney, said the council was "down here to strategize behind closed doors" and accused members of prioritizing indemnification and attorney fees over city problems. Prince said more than "140 plus" people had turned out previously and urged the council to apologize rather than spend public money defending officials.

Several speakers pressed for the release of recordings they said would clarify conflicting accounts. Christian Shaughnessy, a 2nd Ward candidate, said: "If there is nothing to hide, those recordings would have been released," and accused the council, the city attorney and the police officers' association of trying to "keep them hidden." Ron Alvarado, a 1st Ward candidate, also urged officials to publish a recording he said documents an apology by Police Officers Association president Jose Loera.

John Scholenberger asked that statements from a federal complaint filed by Dr. Ortiz on 08/29/2024 be entered into the public record and read excerpts attributed to Police Chief Darren Goodman. According to the excerpts Scholenberger read aloud, Goodman said, "I'm gonna submit it to the DA and hopefully he will file it," and characterized running CLETS records as "a minor crime" in the complaint’s quotation of the chief. Scholenberger urged the council to release the recordings and to explain apparent inconsistencies between public statements and the content of the federal filing.

Kimberly Calvin, another commenter, leveled strong accusations at unnamed council members, calling one a "habitual liar" and asserting that the council had a pattern of sweeping issues "under the rug." Several speakers tied their calls for transparency to concerns about downtown decline and development decisions.

Before the closed session the City Attorney declined to comment on the items. Councilmember Ortiz stated on the record, "As items 1 and 2 are mine, I will be recusing myself from closed session." After closed session, the City Attorney reported that the mayor and council "discussed the 2 items on the agenda" and that there were "no reportable actions from closed session." The meeting adjourned at 4:31 p.m.

The clerk also noted that written public comments were provided to the council and would be posted on the city's website. The council announced its next joint regular meeting—serving in multiple agency capacities—will be on 02/18/2026 at the Feldheym Central Library (555 West 6th Street, San Bernardino); closed session will begin at 4 p.m. and open session at 5 p.m.