Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Utilities Rates topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Newport City council approves higher quarterly water and sewer connection rates

Newport City Council · October 28, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Newport City Council voted to raise the quarterly water base (connection) rate by $21.65 and the sewer connection rate by $32.01, effective with the quarter beginning Nov. 1, 2025. Council cited loan repayments, new-tank maintenance and well redevelopment costs as drivers.

Newport City Council voted to raise residential connection rates for both water and sewer in a special meeting, saying the increases are needed to cover loan repayments, new-tank maintenance and a recently approved well-redevelopment contract.

Council member John Monette summarized a memo from Paul Tice that identified budget gaps and new expenses: the budget had assumed $195,000 for water loan payments but actual payments totaled $202,000, and no maintenance line had been included for the new water tower so the administration added $10,000 to the water budget. Monette also said funds previously taken from a reserve to offset loan repayment must be restored to pay upcoming bills and that the well redevelopment contract approved in March is expected to begin work in the near future.

"When we prorated those adjustments out over the number of users that we presently have, it came out to an $21.65 adjustment in the base," Monette said, and moved the motion to increase the water base (connection) rate by $21.65 beginning with the quarter starting Nov. 1, 2025. The motion was seconded and approved by voice vote.

On the sewer side, Monette said the original $1 million bond was adjusted down to roughly $874,000 and that three sewer payments totaling $87,000 fall within the current fiscal year. Because the city will have only two sewer billings in that period, the council prorated those payments and calculated a $32.01 per-quarter increase to the sewer connection rate. Monette moved the sewer-rate increase; the council approved the motion by voice vote.

Council members and staff said both increases are intended as interim adjustments. Monette and others noted that as more customers are metered and the billing system yields better usage data, the council will review rates again—Monette said the council expects to revisit the numbers within about six months. Staff also told the council any surplus that appears in the accounts could roll into capital reserves instead of holding rates at the higher level.

The council did not record a roll-call tally in the transcript; motions were carried by voice vote (ayes).