Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Budget topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Arts Commission approves draft FY27–28 budget after heated public pleas to spare cultural centers

San Francisco Arts Commission · February 2, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Arts Commission voted Feb. 2 to approve a draft FY27–28 budget that incorporates a $400,000 ongoing general‑fund reduction target. Cultural‑center leaders urged commissioners to reverse cuts and requested transitional funding to avoid service reductions and layoffs.

The San Francisco Arts Commission approved its proposed FY27–28 budget on Feb. 2 after a two‑hour public hearing that included repeated pleas from cultural‑center leaders and artists to avoid further cuts.

Deputy Director of Finance and Administration Sarah Hollenbeck told commissioners the Arts Commission had been assigned a target to "reduce our ongoing general fund spending by $400,000 a year," a directive the department said it received late in the budget process. Hollenbeck framed the department's presentation around a multiyear citywide deficit and mayoral priorities to preserve core services.

Community leaders said the cuts hit neighborhood cultural centers directly. Jana McCray, managing director at a cultural center, detailed staff layoffs, reduced exhibitions and elimination of retirement matching after a 10% reduction in the prior year. "We do not have capacity to raise that kind of money," she said, referring to cash‑flow pressures under a reimbursable grant model beginning in 2027.

SoMa (Somar/Soma in transcript) Arts representatives and other center directors asked for transitional funding, greater transparency and a meeting with the commission and director to avoid closures like that announced by MCCLA earlier in the meeting. Dania Cabello, speaking as an artist and SoMa Arts board member, said cuts "show up as fewer exhibitions, fewer paid opportunities, less support, less visibility, and less ability to build sustainable artistic lives right here in this city."

Commission action: Commissioner J. D. Beltran moved to approve the proposed budget; Commissioner McKenna Quint seconded. The chair called the vote and the motion carried. A commissioner attempted to abstain but was advised the vote required a yes or no response.

Budget details and next steps: Hollenbeck explained hotel‑tax revenue (the commission's largest revenue source) is projected to modestly recover but remains constrained; capital requests include a $5 million FY28 request for a SoMa facility relocation and a $2.6 million / $1.9 million request in subsequent years to support civic art collection care. The mayor's office will present the city budget to the Board of Supervisors by June 1 and the Board will hold public hearings through June before final adoption.

What to watch: Cultural centers seek a timeline for whether cuts will stand and for transitional cash‑flow support during the move to a reimbursable grant model. The commission's approval of the draft budget advances the document to the mayoral phase of the city budget process, where changes are still possible.