Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Playground Installation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Newport Council OKs Vendor Help to Install Gardner Park Playground

Newport City Council · October 29, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Newport City Council authorized vendor-assisted installation of new playground equipment at Gardner Park, approving use of reassigned/capital funds after hearing that the vendor could assist for about $18,000 while a full vendor installation would cost roughly $36,000. The motion passed by voice vote.

The Newport City Council voted to authorize vendor-assisted installation of playground equipment at Gardner Park, approving the use of reassigned capital funds to cover installation and related groundwork.

Superintendent of Streets Tom Berner told the council the company that supplied the equipment quoted roughly $18,000 to “work with us” on installation and that the vendor could fully install the playground for about $36,000. Berner said the vendor’s plan was to assist Public Works staff — laying out and supervising the work — so the city would not incur overtime costs: “They’re gonna work with us. We won't be working overtime to install it. It'll be during straight normal hours,” he said.

Council members and residents discussed where the money would come from. Berner said there are reassigned/capital funds for Gardner Park (he referenced roughly $70,000 in that allocation) and noted the city previously borrowed $200,000 for remediation and groundwork at the site; some invoices for that work are still outstanding. A resident, Laurie Grama, urged use of the vendor for liability and safety reasons based on prior experience with playground installations.

Council President Chris Bishon called for a motion to name the vendor (recorded in the meeting as “Bernier's Choice”) to work with city crews. The council made and seconded the motion and carried it by a voice vote; the record shows the motion was approved but does not include a roll-call tally.

The council directed staff to use the specified funds and to coordinate installation timing with favorable weather; Berner said the vendor might be available as soon as late November or December if conditions permit. The council also asked staff to track final invoices related to the earlier $200,000 remediation borrowing so available capital can be confirmed.

The playground authorization was taken from the consent of the council before moving on to the broader financial discussion and utility-rate items.