Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Historic Preservation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Nonprofit seeks city transfer of historic Goodnight Barn to expand preservation and programming

Pueblo City Council · February 17, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Presenters asked Pueblo City Council to relinquish city ownership of the Goodnight Barn so a nonprofit can pursue grants and expand programming; presenters emphasized the site's National Register status, restoration history, and need for additional land and parking to host larger events.

Laurel Campbell, a representative of the Goodnight Barn nonprofit, told Pueblo City Council on Feb. 17 that the organization seeks city approval to transfer ownership of the Charles Goodnight stone barn so the nonprofit can pursue grants and expand public programming.

Campbell outlined the barn’s history and preservation work, saying, “It’s on the National Register of Historic Places.” She described restoration steps taken in recent years, including a stabilization grant that prevented collapse and work to preserve original 1870 pine and Codell sandstone. The barn dates to the late 1860s–1871, Campbell said, and the nonprofit has hosted living‑history events, chuckwagon roundups and occasional tours.

The nonprofit asked the council to consider a transfer of title so it can be more competitive for grants and develop an interpretive center with exhibits, meeting space and restored orchard and windmill. Board chair Brad and other volunteers said lack of adjacent land and parking prevents larger events and limits school partnerships. Campbell confirmed the nonprofit is a 501(c)(3) and described recent youth visits and plans to expand outreach.

Councilors asked logistical questions about timing and costs. Councilor Hernandez asked whether relinquishment would appear on an upcoming agenda; Campbell indicated it might be on first reading on Feb. 23. Councilor Gomez asked about bus and transportation costs; Campbell said no formal quotes exist yet and that the nonprofit charges a $10 admission for tours to help cover operating expenses. Councilor Boston asked for annual visitor estimates; presenters said monthly tours drew roughly 20–25 visitors, and large events previously brought 300–400 attendees.

Campbell and board members said transferring ownership would allow the nonprofit to seek grants and raise funds for expanded parking and accessibility work. The council did not take formal action at the work session; presenters were thanked and council indicated willingness to visit the site.

The most recent procedural step noted was an indication the transfer could come as first reading on Feb. 23; no vote or transfer was recorded that evening.