Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Behavioral Health Services topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Paramount Wellness Centers seeks OHS approval for Stamford outpatient behavioral health center
Summary
Paramount told Connecticut’s Office of Health Strategy it seeks a certificate of need to open a Stamford outpatient center offering partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient and outpatient services for substance use and mental health; OHS staff questioned whether local providers and recent approvals already meet need and requested clarifying data on referrals, utilization and access.
Get email alerts on the Behavioral Health Services topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Paramount Wellness Centers asked Connecticut’s Office of Health Strategy on Jan. 13 to approve a certificate of need to open a comprehensive outpatient behavioral health center in Stamford that would offer a full continuum of care — partial hospitalization (PHP), intensive outpatient (IOP) and outpatient services — for patients with substance use and primary mental health diagnoses.
The applicant’s co‑founder and chief financial officer, Chris Bartler, said Paramount’s prior CON approval in June 2022 for a detox residential program in Haddam and subsequent inpatient work motivate the proposed outpatient step‑down services. “I come before you today as an owner, investor, and a person in recovery, willing and able to help address Connecticut’s need for additional behavioral health services,” Bartler said, urging approval of the Stamford application.
Why it matters: Applicant witnesses told OHS the Stamford center would reduce gaps in post‑discharge care, lower relapse and readmission risk, and improve continuity because the same clinical team would provide multiple levels of care. Clinical director Cassandra (Cece) Ruela said the first 30 days after leaving a high‑intensity program is a high‑risk period and framed a local outpatient option as essential to keep patients connected to care.
What Paramount says it will do: Paramount plans to participate in Medicaid, offer charity‑care scholarships, and to provide free transportation for clients who cannot access public transit. In its testimony, Paramount projected that about 11% of Stamford patients would be Medicaid recipients and about 9% would be uninsured. Paramount also reported it refers roughly 180 potential patients annually from its Haddam facility who cannot currently be served there and estimates approximately 100 annual Stamford beneficiaries from its catchment area.
OHS scrutiny and data questions: OHS planning staff pressed the applicants on the firm evidence for unmet local need. Andrea Harrison, an OHS planning analyst, noted OHS’s 2024 inventory listed roughly 56 providers in the proposed primary service area and asked why Paramount’s initial completeness response excluded some providers. Paramount’s witnesses said their initial review focused on Stamford, Greenwich and Norwalk and that they later expanded the search; they also said the CON submission includes a table of providers that differentiates levels of care offered (for example, whether a provider offers PHP versus only IOP).
Data currency: OHS and Paramount discussed that the statewide health plan and some cited tables use data current through 2021, and that additional provider approvals since then may not be reflected in those tables. Paramount’s counsel and witnesses said they relied on the best publicly available data submitted with the CON and linked supplemental sources (SAMHSA data, CHNAs and the OHS state health plan) in their application.
Referral patterns and utilization: Paramount reported preliminary 2025 counts for its Haddam facility of about 382 discharges to date, of which roughly 281 were from Connecticut and about 101 were from out of state (approximately 65 from New York). The applicant said about 25% of discharges originate from the Connecticut and New York catchment proposed for Stamford, and that ~12.5% of discharges correspond to Connecticut residents in the PSA. Paramount acknowledged it did not calculate a Stamford‑only discharge total in the same run and described some estimates as provisional.
Access and operations: Ruela testified the proposed Stamford site is about a five‑minute walk from a bus line, is near a train station and has off‑street parking and a nearby free parking garage. She said Paramount will provide free agency transportation for clients unable to use public transit, and counsel added any transportation plan will be legally compliant.
Evidence gaps and applicant commitments: OHS asked whether Paramount has quantitative data documenting clients who refuse referrals to other providers or who travel out of state for care; Ruela said she did not have comprehensive data on that point but cited client testimony and letters of support submitted with the CON. OHS staff requested follow‑up and clarification on provider inventory, utilization and referral flows as parts of their review.
Next steps: The hearing recessed for a 10‑minute break and OHS said it will continue questioning and accept public comment after applicant testimony. The record for the CON application remains open to submit written comments to concomment@ct.gov and to file any requested supplemental information for OHS’s decision.

