Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Building Permits topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents tell Glenwood Springs council ICE detention at 100 Midland Ave operated without final occupancy certificate
Summary
Two public commenters told council a privately operated immigration detention space at 100 Midland Ave. has lacked a final certificate of occupancy since a temporary permit expired in 2005 and asked the city to inspect, enforce and provide a public accounting. Staff said they are compiling records for council review.
Get email alerts on the Building Permits topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Ashley, a Glenwood Springs homeowner, told the City Council during public comment that "this facility has been operating illegally without a valid certificate of occupancy for 20 years," and asked the city for an immediate building inspection, either full compliance or immediate shutdown, and a public accounting of how the facility operated without required permits.
Mae Gray, a county resident and new county party chair, told the council she shared the concern, noted ICE's lease at the location expires March 31 and asked the city to use the lease timing to "see things through to benefit and better our community." Gray also alleged private security was hired during protests at the location.
City staff and legal counsel, speaking after public comment, said the initial allegations may not reflect the full administrative history and that they are assembling a fuller packet of records and the permitting history. Staff indicated there had been an earlier special-use permit and a public process at some point and recommended delivering a controlled, documented report rather than an off-the-cuff response. The council and mayor thanked the commenters and asked staff to follow up.
No formal enforcement motion or vote occurred at the meeting; staff said they and legal counsel (Steve and others) are preparing documentation to present to council and to Brianne (staff) for a later public release. Councilors publicly acknowledged the complaint as a community concern and expressed appreciation that staff would provide more complete records.
Next steps: staff said they will return to council with the assembled records and history; no formal timeline was given at the meeting.

