Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Nuisance Smoke House Of Barbecue topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Clawson planners limit outdoor smoking at House of Barbecue, revert hours and set June review

Clawson Planning Commission · January 28, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After months of neighbor complaints about smoke and occasional visible flames, the Clawson Planning Commission voted to revert House of Barbecue at 220 S. Main to its original two-nights-a-week smoker hours, require moving the smoker to the front location approved in the amendment, and revisit the issue on June 10, 2025.

The Clawson Planning Commission on Jan. 28 voted to deny unrestricted, around-the-clock outdoor smoking at House of Barbecue, instead reverting the business to the original site-plan hours and approving relocation of the smoker to the front of the building while the commission monitors neighborhood impacts.

The action responded to repeated resident complaints about smoke and demonstrated flames from a wood-burning smoker. Planning staff presented a packet of complaints and photographs and said the applicant had previously received a series of conditional approvals ending with temporary approval in October 2024. Commissioners debated whether to extend a conditional trial period through the spring or require remediation; the commission adopted a motion to revert to the original hours of operation (the April 2022 approval) with the smoker at the proposed front location and an administrative revisit scheduled for the commission’s first June meeting (June 10, 2025).

Neighbors said the smoke has affected year-round quality of life. "I feel like a prisoner in my own home," said Shawnee Kunith, a nearby resident who submitted enlarged photos to the commission and described smoke entering her home and triggering indoor smoke detectors in spring. Other residents said they could not reliably use their yards because of the exhaust.

The business owner, identified in public remarks as Chef Collier, told the commission he relies on the smoker for catering contracts and said he could not afford structural changes such as installing a dedicated chimney. "If it continue to be a burden, I may have to move from Clossam," the owner told the commission, saying he was trying to balance business needs with neighborhood impact. Staff noted the owner has switched to a propane startup to reduce initial flames and that caution signage and fencing have been added.

Commissioners weighed enforcement options and the limits of the commission’s authority. The commission’s motion (moved by Commissioner Scott and seconded by Commissioner Carpenter) included an amendment to have the item return on June 10 so the commission can consider summer conditions and any proposed remediation; the amendment passed 5–3. The final roll-call on the motion was: Neuschay Yes; Redmond Yes; Scott Yes; Solomon No; Tinland Yes; Carpenter Yes; Fitzer No; Kucera Yes. Staff said the original approved days were Wednesdays and Sundays (10 p.m. to 8 a.m.) and will notify the applicant of the conditions.

The commission noted nuisance provisions exist in city code and that, should the applicant fail to demonstrate effective remediation, the commission can revisit the limits on operations. The June meeting will be the next opportunity for the applicant to present remediation measures or request a change; until then, hours revert to those in the original site plan approval.