Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Early Learning topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Sanford outlines pre‑K expansion, lottery and outreach supports for early learners
Summary
Superintendent and staff reported plans to offer full‑day pre‑K at multiple sites, an open lottery with 102 entries so far for an estimated 144 slots, a Kids at Cove partnership, work with Head Start (not finalized), and JT Gorman Foundation outreach to help families with housing stability.
Get email alerts on the Early Learning topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
District leaders told the committee they plan to offer full‑day pre‑K for the 2026–27 school year at multiple locations including Carl J. Lamb, Margaret Chase Smith, Sanford Pride Elementary, Sanford Regional Technical Center, Sanford Springvale YMCA and a new partnership with Kids at Cove Early Learning Center.
Officials said the pre‑K lottery is open; as of the report there were 102 entries and the district estimates about 144 potential slots. A potential partnership with Head Start is under discussion but not finalized, and administrators said they are seeking early funding from the Maine Department of Education so the district can begin transition work before July 1.
Staff also described the JT Gorman Foundation grant, which funds outreach to early learners and families to reduce homelessness risk. Outreach staff contacted every pre‑K family, developed a family strength survey, created resource areas in elementary schools, launched family coffee hours and are developing a four‑part parent series in March. The district described coordination with York County Community Action and other partners to define roles and connect families to resources.
What happens next: administrators said the lottery remains open, the Head Start partnership is still under negotiation, and outreach staff will return during budget season to present more detailed program and funding information to the committee.

