Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Comment topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Resident warns of lawsuit over Port Hueneme flag policy during public comment

Port Hueneme City Council · October 8, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A resident told the council the city's commemorative flag policy unfairly privileges the gay-pride flag and threatened litigation unless the council revisits the policy; staff offered follow-up and noted public comment is not for debate.

During the public comment period a resident, Seth Bonilla, told the council he objects to a resolution the city adopted governing commemorative flags at City Hall. Bonilla said the resolution effectively allows the gay-pride flag to be flown while excluding other groups and said his request to fly a Christian flag had not been considered. He said Riverside had moved to a 'flag-neutral' approach and warned that the city’s approach created a public forum that could lead to litigation.

Bonilla cited a July 1, 2024 policy and said he intended to litigate if the council did not address what he described as an exclusionary effect. City staff and meeting staff responded that public comment is not a time for debate but offered to connect Bonilla to staff for follow-up. A staff member with legal experience said actions taken by the board had been legal and exercised First Amendment rights.

No council action was taken on the policy at the meeting; staff offered to follow up outside the public comment period and to provide additional information to Bonilla.