Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Landfill topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Port Arthur council moves to negotiate industrial-waste cell, orders new RFQ for full landfill after months of debate
Summary
After a day of public testimony and extended council discussion, Port Arthur council instructed the city manager to negotiate a contract for a single industrial-waste cell and directed staff to prepare a new request for qualifications covering operation of the full landfill, while holding additional action on a broader concession. Residents raised concerns about experience, tipping fees and likely impacts on rates and city services.
Get email alerts on the Landfill topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council members in Port Arthur on Tuesday approved a two-part direction on the city landfill after hours of public comment and legal review. The council voted to reaffirm an earlier resolution authorizing the city manager to negotiate a contract limited to the study, design, permitting, construction and operation of a single new cell that would accept waste the city's current permit does not allow. The council also instructed staff to prepare a fresh request for qualifications for firms to study, design, permit and operate the remainder of the landfill.
The action followed an extensive public record. Residents and former city staff questioned whether the solicitation the city issued earlier was limited to a single industrial cell or had been interpreted as an offer to allow an outside firm to operate the entire landfill. Eric Guidry, a Port Arthur resident, told the council he reviewed the city's RFQ language and said it was written to solicit a sale or a cell; he urged the council to reject proposals that would transfer operation without clear protections for ratepayers and employees.
"This firm, as collective organization, does not have the experience to run our entire landfill," Guidry said during public comment, urging council members to "reconsider" the resolution.
City staff and representatives of Environmental Industrial Services Group (EISG), the firm that responded to the RFQ, said the initial intent of the procurement was to identify technical teams to study and design a cell for non-permitted waste. Derek McGriff of EISG told council the company responded to the RFQ and that its proposal included engineering and operations experience drawn from its team. An EISG technical consultant added the firm's team has permitting and operations experience and estimated a limited-scope permit amendment at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality could be completed in roughly a year under accelerated procedures.
City Manager Tomi Haney (title used in council discussion) and other staff warned the council that the landfill's current favorable revenue from donated fill dirt is likely to decrease as nearby industrial projects wind down, potentially moving the landfill toward a structural deficit if no new revenue sources are found. "If somebody comes and takes the landfill and we don't get tipping fees, the landfill will be in the negative," the manager said during the meeting, and staff described different scenarios that would preserve the landfill's role without harming residential or commercial collection budgets.
Council members split at times over timing and process. Council member Frank moved to reaffirm the earlier resolution authorizing negotiations for a single cell and to direct staff to prepare a new RFQ for operation of the whole landfill; the motion carried. Council member Everfield and other members urged that any extension of the scope beyond a single cell be run through a new, transparent procurement so that other qualified firms could bid. "If we want to change the main thing, then let's do that," Everfield said, urging a new RFQ rather than repurposing the earlier document.
Residents pressed several specific points: whether city employees would keep their jobs under a third-party operator, whether existing interlocal agreements with nearby municipalities would be honored, and whether customers would face new charges or tipping fees. EISG representatives said the city would continue to collect municipal garbage fees and the firm would negotiate tipping-fee mechanics; they described proposed "royalty" and credit arrangements intended to leave the city's general solid-waste account balanced while generating new revenue.
The council halted a separate, broader resolution that would have authorized negotiating a contract to operate the entire landfill immediately; that item was removed from the agenda after an executive-session briefing and then the narrower path (cell negotiation plus new RFQ) was approved. Council members said the approach preserves options: it allows the city to seek immediate relief to accept waste classes the current permit forbids via a targeted cell while opening a formal competitive process for anyone who would offer to operate or invest in the landfill more broadly.
The council also signaled it would seek more detailed permit and financial analyses before executing final agreements, and that the city's outside environmental counsel would continue advising on liabilities and on whether the existing RFQ language was interpreted correctly. The item will return to a future agenda with staff-prepared materials, including a recommended timeline for any permit amendments and draft RFQ language.
Next steps: staff will bring a draft RFQ for the full landfill to council and will continue negotiations on a single cell under the previously authorized resolution. The city also plans to brief the public again on permitted waste classes, expected timelines for any TCEQ amendments and proposed terms that would preserve municipal collections and limit rate impacts.
