Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Transportation Infrastructure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Huntsville council accepts $20 million federal grant for downtown park, flood mitigation and pedestrian bridges
Summary
The Huntsville City Council voted to accept a $20 million federal RAISE/BUILD grant to construct a downtown linear park and flood‑mitigation project that includes channel widening, greenways, stream restoration and three pedestrian bridges; staff said the grant is construction‑only and must be used as proposed.
Get email alerts on the Transportation Infrastructure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
HUNTSVILLE — The City of Huntsville will move forward with a multi‑year downtown park and flood mitigation project after the City Council on Oct. 9 voted to accept a $20 million federal construction grant.
Director Shane Davis, who leads the city's urban economic development team, told the council the project grew from earlier flood mitigation work and now includes nearly 9,000 feet of channel improvements, about 1.3 miles of new greenways, 11 acres of downtown linear park space, replacement of an aging railroad trestle and three precast pedestrian bridges that will provide multimodal connections between neighborhoods, the Von Braun Center and the medical district.
Davis said the project scored highly under the federal grant criteria for increasing safety, creating jobs, connecting communities and encouraging private investment, and that the inclusion of the pedestrian bridges helped the application reach the maximum award amount. He told the council the grant is specific to the submitted scope: "If you choose us, this is what we'll deliver to our community."
Council members asked several questions about flexibility and local match. Davis and staff said the RAISE/BUILD award is construction‑only and cannot be reallocated to other uses; if the city accepted the funds and later declined key elements the money would need to be returned, possibly with penalties. Staff described ongoing local saving efforts and FEMA/flood mitigation funds that will cover a portion of the local share and said construction would be staged over three years, with the most critical channel work first.
Supporters noted the project's safety rationale: Davis said there were 35 pedestrian or bicycle crashes in the project area between 2018 and 2022, including six pedestrian fatalities, and that modeling suggests the project could reduce pedestrian‑bicycle interactions by almost 60%. Council members who spoke in favor cited connectivity to affordable housing initiatives, the Mill Creek redevelopment, and the potential to unlock private investment.
Opponents and some residents who addressed council earlier in the meeting had expressed concerns about the SkyBridge elements and priorities for other spending. During deliberations, council members and staff repeatedly framed the bridges as one component of a much larger project focused on flood mitigation, stream restoration and greenways.
The motion to accept the federal grant and move forward carried by voice vote. Davis said staff will return with periodic public updates and noted additional federal funding opportunities are being pursued for later phases.
The project is identified in city materials as the Pedestrian Access and Redevelopment Corridor Park Project (Project No. 71‑25‑SP24).
