Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Utilities Incident topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Missouri City keeps stop-work order on EZ Fiber after gas-line rupture; company told to reimburse costs and map underground utilities

Missouri City Council · February 23, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City staff told council that EZ Fiber caused a gas-line rupture on Feb. 13 and the city's stop-work order remains in place pending compensation for damages, a corrective-action plan, and subsurface utility mapping; staff said the gas leak has been capped and EZ estimates most work in the corridor is complete.

Missouri CityCouncil briefed residents Feb. 23 that a stop-work order issued after an EZ Fiber crew ruptured a gas line on Feb. 13 remains in effect until the company satisfies city conditions, including reimbursement for city expenses, submission of a corrective-action plan and subsurface utility investigation.

Assistant City Manager Shashi Kumar told council staff met today with EZ Fiber senior management and legal counsel and that EZ reported 36 active permits in the Sienna area covering roughly 800,000 linear feet of work, with approximately 35,000 linear feet remaining. "They estimate it would take less than about a month's time of work to complete the remaining work," Kumar said during his status update, adding the gas leak itself has been capped.

The city has told EZ it must compensate for all city-incurred damages and submit a robust corrective-action plan before the stop-work order will be lifted. Kumar described additional staff requirements that would be required to resume digging: a subsurface utility investigation using tools such as ground-penetrating radar to map underground utilities, and an ironclad commitment that safety issues have been addressed. "We have not lifted the stop work order," he said.

Councilmembers pressed staff on the frequency of incidents and available remedies. Kumar and city staff said there have been multiple incidents in recent months (the meeting referenced "two to three" incidents in the past three months and additional incidents last year) involving EZ hitting wet utilities, and that the city was compiling overtime, equipment and other expenses to bill EZ for damages. Councilmembers asked whether the 811 utility-locate markings were accurate; Kumar said EZ asserted that a third-party locator erred in this instance but staff are still gathering facts.

The city has requested documentation and cost estimates from EZ and said it expects a corrective plan and repairs. County officials have been involved in discussions, and staff said counties may have different enforcement authority but have indicated willingness to explore options. Kumar said staff will not allow EZ to resume restoration or further digging within city right of way until conditions are met, though EZ may perform non-intrusive mapping work such as ground-penetrating radar under staff supervision.

Councilmembers asked staff whether the city can require additional crew training or certifications and whether the city can set deadlines for corrective actions; city legal staff said those options would be explored depending on regulatory authority. Staff cautioned that compiling full damage estimates and completing the review will take time and said they would return with cost figures and further recommendations.