Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Housing topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Newton seeks $750,000 in CDBG funds to rehabilitate up to 15 homes
Summary
Newton City officials authorized pursuing a $750,000 Community Development Block Grant to rehabilitate up to 15 low- and moderate-income, owner‑occupied homes across the city and approved Western Piedmont COG staff to submit the application by July 27, 2020.
Get email alerts on the Housing topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Newton City Council on July 7 authorized staff to pursue a Community Development Block Grant Neighborhood Revitalization (CDBG‑NR) application seeking $750,000 to rehabilitate up to 15 owner‑occupied homes for low‑ and moderate‑income households.
Planning Director Randy Williams said the Western Piedmont Council of Governments (WPCOG) will administer the proposed program for the city. Lourie Powell, the city’s project administrator for the effort, told council that five homes have been selected so far and the remaining properties will be identified later because COVID‑19 slowed outreach. Powell said the city will continue to accept applications and will create a waiting list once more houses are selected.
Powell said applications will be submitted to the North Carolina Department of Commerce’s Rural Economic Development Division by July 27, 2020 and that the city likely will not know whether it was funded until later in the fall. Council voted unanimously to pursue the grant and authorize WPCOG staff to submit the application.
The council did not set project addresses or an exact rehabilitation scope in the meeting; Powell said the program would identify and rehabilitate between three and 15 homes, depending on final funding and project requirements. The timeline and owner eligibility rules will follow CDBG‑NR program guidelines administered by the state.
