Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Environmental Remediation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
County will leave underground tank at Highlands School, follow DEQ remediation; commissioner presses for bids on $610,000 estimate
Summary
Macon County commissioners agreed to proceed with Option 1 — leaving an underground tank at Highlands School under DEQ mediation recommendations — after the Construction Manager at Risk said contamination did not pose a danger; Commissioner Josh Young questioned the $610,000 estimate and requested transparency and multiple bids.
Get email alerts on the Environmental Remediation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Macon County commissioners on Sept. 17 agreed to proceed with a remediation plan that leaves an underground tank in place at Highlands School and follows mediation recommendations from the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).
County Manager Derek Roland told the board that when the county appropriated $825,000 for the project, that figure reflected a conservative estimate should tank removal be necessary. Since then, the Construction Manager at Risk advised county staff that contamination levels are not expected to threaten students or staff, and the Board of Education confirmed the tank did not need immediate removal.
"The contractor can proceed with Option 1, which is to leave the tank in the ground and follow the mediation recommendations made by DEQ," Roland said. Project Coordinator Jack Morgan explained the remediation requirements overseen by DEQ.
Commissioner Josh Young said he wanted a transparent process and multiple bids for the remediation work, and questioned the price: "It is about $12,000 worth of concrete and that the $610,000 seems excessive," the transcript records Young saying. Roland responded that the $610,000 figure is a not-to-exceed amount and that bids will be provided for the county’s review.
The board reached consensus to proceed with Option 1, leaving the tank in place while remediation proceeds under DEQ guidance. The appropriation of $825,000 remains on the books; the transcript does not record any formal motion or vote specifically adopting Option 1, but county staff said the contractor may proceed under the agreed approach and with bid oversight to follow.
The county did not provide a breakdown in the meeting for the $610,000 estimate; Commissioner Young’s remarks signaled concern among some board members about the cost and the need for multiple bids before significant spending occurs. County staff indicated they will present bid documents for board review as work moves forward.
