Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Local Events topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Pearl Street farmers market street-closure request referred for interdepartmental review
Summary
The board heard a proposal from the Cross Farmers Market Association to close Pearl Street for a Friday market May–October; the board voted unanimously to refer the request to the Jan. 26 Board of Public Works meeting so municipal departments can coordinate logistics, safety and parking.
Get email alerts on the Local Events topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Board of Public Works on Jan. 12 heard a request from the Cross Farmers Market Association to close Pearl Street between 2nd and 4th streets on Fridays from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m., May through October, contingent on required permits and insurance.
Sadie Laniero, the market manager, told the board vendors and organizers want to keep the market downtown for visibility and economic benefits. She described outreach to business owners and said the organizers have discussed and are working to resolve key operational issues including vendor parking, pedestrian crossing safety and refuse removal. She said vendors who require vehicle-access spots or accessibility accommodations would be prioritized for designated curb-side parking or ramp space.
Council and directors raised standard logistical concerns: parking impacts for customers and vendors, emergency access, crossing safety at 3rd Street and time-of-day conflicts with other downtown events. Staff and volunteers proposed mitigations such as restricting no-parking signage until 2 p.m. (to allow morning deliveries), using one side of the street to maintain emergency access, coordinating vendor parking in parking ramps, recruiting volunteer crossing guards and seeking sponsorships for refuse collection.
A DMI representative reported that market organizers had already contacted dozens of downtown business owners and offered DMI support for communications, parking coordination and safety planning. An MTU representative said the closure would be manageable as long as 3rd and 4th streets remained open and 2nd street remained available for north–south traffic; main-street closures posed greater detour challenges in prior events.
Because more municipal coordination was needed — and because organizers have a Jan. 31 deadline to list the market in the statewide Farm Fresh Atlas — the mayor moved to refer the closure request to the Jan. 26 Board of Public Works meeting; the motion passed unanimously. The board asked city departments and the market organizers to meet before Jan. 26 to resolve outstanding logistics.
Why it matters: the proposal affects downtown circulation, parking and businesses for a multi-week, summer-long event and will set a precedent for future street-closure programming. The referral lets municipal departments vet barricade costs, crossing-control staffing and emergency-access plans before formal approval.
Next steps: staff will convene municipal departments with the market organizers and return to the Jan. 26 Board of Public Works meeting with detailed logistics, anticipated costs and recommended permit conditions.
