Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Governance Transparency topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Parents and students press Newark Unified over coaches, alleged property sale and handling of protests
Summary
Public commenters at the Feb. 3 board meeting urged reinstating coaches, alleged a secret plan to sell the district office and Music Elementary, and accused a high school principal of threatening student protesters; the board and superintendent pledged follow-up and debriefs.
Get email alerts on the Governance Transparency topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Multiple members of the community used the board's public-comment period on Feb. 3 to press the board on athletics staffing, district facility plans and the district's response to recent student protests.
Several speakers asked the board to restore paused coaching roles and stressed athletics' role in academic success; one commenter provided data on Newark Memorial's Class of 2025 scholar athletes and argued that athletic participation correlates with higher GPAs and college enrollment.
Other speakers raised suspicions that the district's recent emergency plan to relocate the district office was tied to a previously discussed secret plan to sell district properties. "Moving the district office wasn't on [the facilities priority list]," one resident said, and another urged that the board investigate whether vacating properties was being used to enable future development. Richard Woon, who identified himself as a parent and real-estate developer, said published roofing estimates for a site seemed unusually high and questioned whether the district should sell assets at a time when local land prices are low.
A high-profile public comment came from Arlette, an alum and Newark resident, who said Newark Memorial High School administrators threatened students for participating in an anti-ICE walkout and asked the board for an apology and assurances that future protests would be protected. "Principal Murphy deliberately stifled the students' organic civic action and engagement," Arlette said, and she asked for a public apology and a promise not to discourage future protests. The superintendent said the district debriefed site staff after the walkout to improve communications and student safety, and said the district has been discussing civic engagement and student safety protocols.
Board members acknowledged public concern, thanked speakers, and said they were listening. Some members suggested recognition events for coaches while district staff said they were working to correct missteps, improve documentation and communicate more clearly with coaching staff. The board did not take immediate policy action on the allegations about property sale or the principal's conduct during the meeting but several members asked staff to follow up and provide documentation where appropriate.
What happens next: the superintendent said staff will continue debriefing with site administrators and will provide additional information on facilities planning, the bond architect and project-manager procurement timeline. Board members asked staff to share any documentation related to property discussions and to return with clarifications on facility strategy and coaching roles.

