Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Community Comments Parks topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents praise Week of the Family, raise Crestview safety and Harrington Park bid concerns during public comment
Summary
Public commenters thanked volunteers and sponsors for a successful Week of the Family, urged traffic-safety improvements on Crestview Drive, and pressed the city for details on a Harrington Park construction bid that rose from about $3.6 million to $5.0 million and attracted a single bidder.
Get email alerts on the Community Comments Parks topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Multiple residents used the Feb. 9 public‑comment period to applaud community events and press the council on neighborhood safety and an upcoming construction contract.
Susan Rose, chair of the Week of the Family committee, thanked volunteers, partners and sponsors after the event’s 26th year. "We did more than 40 activities in 10 days," Rose said, noting more than 362 volunteers and more than 3,450 participants and thanking sponsors including PNC Bank and the Community Foundation of San Carlos.
Julie Winn, vice president of the San Carlos Community Foundation, said the foundation now sponsors Week of the Family financially and helped facilitate a $5,000 PNC grant for signage; the foundation has distributed $160,000 in grants to 21 local nonprofits this year and will hold a fundraising event April 16 at the Hiller Aviation Museum.
On traffic and safety, Salish Mehra and Bob Rivano urged further work on Crestview Drive. Rivano, who described traffic speed observations and a previous field configuration problem for emergency vehicles, recommended a single downhill stop sign at Crestview and Edmonds in lieu of the proposed roundabout.
Several residents asked for more background materials on traffic studies; Solomon Quintero said he had been unable to obtain standard studies (safety diagnosis, traffic operations, speed and sight-distance) and requested staff assistance.
John Durkin, speaking remotely, urged the council to reconsider retaining the 700 Block closure to vehicles and raised concerns about the Harrington Park reimagining bid: he recalled prior staff estimates of about $3.6 million, a staff advertised estimate of $5.0 million, and reported that only one contractor submitted a bid, asking what the likely actual cost would be and whether advertising timing affected contractor response.
Consent calendar outcome: The council approved the consent calendar (items a–g). Vice Mayor Rak moved to approve; Mayor Purnia Venkatesh seconded. Roll call votes recorded four yes votes (Layton, McDowell, Rak, Venkatesh) and one absence (Councilmember Dugan).

