Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Parks Recreation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
San Dimas approves $11,150 change order, small budget increase to finish Sportsplex pickleball courts
Summary
City staff told council that unexpected site conditions — a 26‑inch concrete slab and electrical conduit encased in concrete — increased costs for the San Dimas Sportsplex pickleball conversion. Council approved a $11,150 change order and a $2,769.40 budget appropriation to complete the project.
Get email alerts on the Parks Recreation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The San Dimas City Council voted Jan. 13 to approve a contractor change order and a modest budget increase to complete construction of pickleball courts at the San Dimas Sportsplex.
Scott Wasserman, the city's director of parks and recreation, told the council that crews encountered two unusual site conditions during conversion work: a 26‑inch concrete slab under the tennis courts and electrical conduit encased in that slab. The conditions required specialized equipment and extra work to bore new posts and to shift a separating fence one to two feet to avoid the conduit. "If you add all of that up, the contractor's requesting $11,150 additional," Wasserman said.
The change order will be covered by a requested budget appropriation of $2,769.40. Council members asked staff to clarify whether the $49,900 the council originally allocated (which earlier included a $20,000 set‑aside for acoustic panels for a Lone Hill Park project) had been reallocated to the Sportsplex project; staff said the reallocation removed the prior stipulation and that the Sportsplex contract base was $41,519.40 plus the $11,150 change order, leaving the total for this project a little over $43,000.
Several council members urged completing the courts quickly and monitoring noise complaints before purchasing acoustic panels. Councilperson Batakis summarized the city's action and math: "We are increasing [the contract] to the $11,000 and change and we are increasing our budget by that $2,700 and change," and said she wanted the project finished for public use.
Council approved the staff recommendation by unanimous vote. Staff estimated once the contractor resumed work it would take about three weeks to finish, making February a realistic completion target provided weather cooperates.
The council asked staff to return if noise complaints arise so the body could consider acoustic panels or other mitigation measures then; staff noted there are alternative approaches being used in other cities.

