Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use Appeal topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council formalizes denial of Truckstop Food Park permit after applicant's late attorney letter

Ceres City Council · September 24, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The council memorialized its Sept. 8 decision to grant an appeal and deny a conditional use permit for a truck-stop food park at 1379 E. Whitmore Ave.; the applicant urged the council to review a same-day attorney letter, and staff advised options for reopening and renoticing before the decision deadline.

The Ceres City Council on Sept. 22 adopted a resolution memorializing its prior action to grant an appeal and deny a conditional use permit for a truck-stop food park proposed at 1379 East Whitmore Avenue.

City Attorney Nubia reminded the council that at the Sept. 8 hearing the council directed staff to prepare a resolution to memorialize the vote and rationale. That resolution is before the council tonight to make the action part of the administrative record, and staff noted the municipal code requires a final decision within 30 days of the public hearing.

Owners Ashley and Vito Renuio told the council they had submitted a letter from their attorney and urged the council to "do a deep dive" into the planning commission notes and the letter, stating that the planning commission had addressed concerns. Ashley Renuio said, "If you guys had time to go over it...you would see that all of your guys' concerns have been addressed and negated."

Members of the public, including John Warren, questioned why staff recommendations that had previously supported the proposal were now cited as reasons for denial; Warren warned the inconsistency could invite litigation. Council members debated whether to continue the item to allow full review of the applicant's materials and to consider reopening the public hearing. City Attorney Nubia advised that reopening would require renoticing and provide both sides an opportunity to present additional information.

After discussion, Vice Mayor Daniel A. Martinez moved and the motion was seconded; the council voted 4–0 with one abstention to adopt the resolution memorializing the council's earlier decision. Staff said the applicant correspondence would be placed in the administrative record and the city attorney would advise on next steps, including any renotice required to reopen the matter.

The council was explicit that procedural fairness and the 30-day statutory timing informed their choice to memorialize the previous action rather than immediately reopen the hearing.