Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Bank Q2 Report topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Detroit Land Bank Authority presents Q2 report; council presses on lawsuits, county transfers and demolition costs

Detroit City Council Committee of the Whole · February 5, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

DLBA CEO Tammy Daniels reported inventory and program metrics, including almost 1,400 occupied-buyback households reclaimed and plans for a 30-unit Longview affordable project; council members asked about ~300 active nuisance-abatement lawsuits, nearly 60,000 properties in inventory and whether Wayne County transfers leave the city bearing demolition costs.

Tammy Daniels, chief executive officer of the Detroit Land Bank Authority, told the City Council Committee of the Whole that the agencylaunched new engagement tools and recorded a busy quarter, while council members pressed the authority on litigation, county property transfers and the growing burden of demolitions.

Daniels said the land bank has used an Instagram live series called "Talking with Tammy," expanded its occupied buyback program and "helped over almost 1,400 families reclaim ownership to homes through that program." She also reported recent quarterly activity: about 101 homes sold through auction, roughly 90 sold through an "own it now" channel, an inventory just under 60,000 properties (the majority vacant land) and approximately 4,800 properties in the compliance pipeline.

The news matters because the land bank is the cityowner of last resort for many blighted properties and its inventory and program choices affect neighborhoods across Detroit. Council members sought district-level detail on unsold and salvage properties, asked whether transferred county parcels are increasing the city's demolition liability and pressed officials about lawsuits tied to nuisance abatements.

Vice Chair Gabriela Santiago Romero asked if nuisance abatement will continue and how much litigation the land bank faces. DLBA general counsel Gabriel Guerrero said the authority continues to run nuisance abatements in partnership with Buildings, Constructions (BC) and Department of Neighborhoods and reported the DLBA has a caseload of roughly 300 active lawsuits against derelict property owners; Guerrero added the land bank is defending one pending challenge to the program itself.

Council members pressed the DLBA about unsold county transfers. Robert Lin, DLBA director of planning, explained that "any unsold properties left after the auction are offered to the city and to the land bank," and that the land bank typically accepts lower-density residential properties while commercial parcels go to the city. Lin said the recent transfer included roughly 200 properties, about one-third of which required demolition, and that many of those had already been queued for demolition through other city processes.

Pro Tem Young expressed frustration that the city appears to be absorbing costs from Wayne County transfers without dedicated funding. "I just really don't understand why we are playing captain save a political for Wayne County," the member said, urging consideration of intergovernmental reciprocity or clearer fiscal arrangements as the land bank continues to accept properties.

Daniels said the authority will revisit its historical approach as bond and HHS (housing) dollars have been exhausted and that the agency is assessing what role it should retain as funding streams change. She highlighted a pending expansion of the "finish line" grant program to help buyers complete major compliance work, and said the DLBA will investigate council suggestions about using technology to streamline title and vetting work.

The DLBA also previewed a small affordable housing development in District 4 in the Longview neighborhood: early assessments aim to convert two 20-unit buildings into about 30 units, with parking and green space; groundbreaking is anticipated in 2027, officials said. Daniels noted community discounts for partners (including 50% auction discounts for tribal and indigenous buyers and up to 80% discounts for affordable housing projects meeting specified affordability targets).

After the presentation and back-and-forth questions, the committee voted to receive and file the DLBA quarterly report by unanimous consent. Council members requested a district-by-district breakdown of the 743 salvage/unsold structures cited in the report and asked DLBA property-rehab staff to share updates on previously pulled items, including the Beneteau properties.

The committeealso discussed related infrastructure and recovery programs during the meeting, from private sewer repairs to a $1 million seawall pilot in Jefferson Chalmers; the committee reserved additional oversight and follow-up for those items.

The committee is scheduled to receive further updates and documents from the DLBA and city departments in follow-up meetings; the DLBA committed to share requested breakdowns and to return with additional information where needed.