Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Tourism Funding topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Budget committee withdraws $68,150 town funding for proposed information center after members favor QR and web alternatives

Select Board · April 9, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Following debate about cost-effectiveness and alternative digital options, the budget review committee withdrew its prior approval of $68,150 for a town information center and recommended the chamber or private businesses pursue alternatives.

The budget review committee voted to withdraw a previously approved $68,150 allocation for a town information center after members questioned the project's cost and effectiveness.

Committee and Select Board members debated whether a brick-and-mortar information center justified the cost to taxpayers, with several members suggesting a QR-code solution or town-hosted website as a lower-cost option. One select board member urged exploring digital signage or QR codes that would allow visitors to access information from parking areas rather than requiring staff or a physical building.

During discussion, a member said: “I don't feel good about asking the taxpayers in town for $70,000 when we know that there are folks who are struggling to afford their electric bill or their medication,” reflecting concern about prioritizing discretionary tourism spending while resident needs persist. Staff noted prior in-kind contributions and rent-free space had been counted in earlier cost estimates, pushing the total value closer to six figures in some calculations.

A budget committee member moved to withdraw committee approval for the $68,150 information-center allocation; the motion was seconded and approved. Committee members said this decision does not prevent the chamber or private businesses from offering visitor services, but it removes town-funded support as proposed in the warrant.