Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Planning commission delays Carlsbad Plaza hearing to July 17 after residents seek more review

Carlsbad Planning Commission · June 19, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents asked the commission to continue a hearing on the contested Carlsbad Plaza housing project, citing inadequate outreach and new expert analysis; the commission voted 5–1 to continue the item to July 17 amid staff warnings about state timelines and the limits of the commission's CEQA authority.

The Carlsbad Planning Commission voted to continue its hearing on the Carlsbad Plaza housing project to July 17 after several residents asked for more time to gather evidence and for a consultant to review project impacts.

At the meeting on June 19, long-time resident Martin Danner asked the commission to postpone the matter to give a retained expert two weeks to prepare additional materials. Danner said his request was supported by Planning Commission Resolution 7506, which allows continuances when inadequate evidence is presented. “Our request is to assemble additional evidence,” he said, asking the commission to honor the public’s request for more time.

Multiple residents and speakers backed a continuance, arguing the applicant had not conducted adequate outreach. Chris Wright told commissioners the city council would appoint a new commissioner before the July 17 date and urged a continuance so a full seven-member panel could hear the item. Steve Linke cited a recent court ruling that questioned the city’s application of growth-management standards and warned the same issues might affect vehicle-miles-traveled (VMT) analyses for this project.

City attorney and staff cautioned that CEQA exemption determinations are made by the city planner and not by the commission and noted state housing laws and statutory timelines that limit how long agencies can delay decisions on housing projects. Staff explained that continuances count toward a statutory five-hearing limit for the project and that certain time windows (including a 10-day appeal period for the CEQA exemption) had already lapsed. “Continuations count towards the 5,” staff said, urging the commission to weigh procedural constraints.

Commissioners split on whether to continue. Commissioner Lafferty emphasized the public’s desire to present specific evidence and moved to continue the hearing to July 17; Commissioner Mers seconded the motion. The commission approved the continuance on a 5–1 vote, with Commissioner Means opposed. Chair Kamenjarn then called a short recess before proceeding with the evening’s agenda.

The continuation means the commission will revisit the Carlsbad Plaza application at its July 17 meeting and allows the public and the applicants to prepare further materials. Because the planning commission issues a recommendation to the City Council, that later body will retain the final decision-making role on the project.

What’s next: The hearing on Carlsbad Plaza will resume on July 17. The commission’s staff memo and the project file will remain the primary record for any evidence submitted before that date.