Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Police Accountability topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents urge transparency, mental-health response after officer-involved shooting in Marion

Marion City Council · March 20, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At the March 19 Marion City Council meeting residents demanded transparency and mental-health reforms after the Feb. 4 officer-involved shooting that killed 18-year-old Sabre Bernard, pressing the city to notify families before releasing footage and to convene a multi-agency review with mental-health professionals.

Dozens of residents told the Marion City Council on March 19 that the city must do more to support families and reform crisis response after an officer-involved shooting on Feb. 4 that left 18-year-old Sabre Bernard dead.

Anne Harris Carter, a resident and member of the Coalition for Positive Change, asked why a mental-health liaison was not on the scene that morning and urged the council to strengthen crisis response. “I am curious how mental-health training compares,” she said, adding that she did not want officers to act as therapists but that first responders should “be adept at recognizing signs and knowing when to call for help.”

Iris Strong, a Marion resident, told the council it had been “43 days since Sabre’s life was taken” and criticized the city for releasing body-camera footage and audio without informing the family in advance. “It costs nothing to provide a family with the dignity of a phone call before their trauma,” she said, asking whether the officer or the officer’s family had been notified before the footage was released.

Anna Clymer, a board member of the Marion Alliance for Racial Equity and friend of the Bernard family, called for a unified, multi-agency approach to accountability that includes interagency standardization of use-of-force policies, explicit de-escalation standards and a funded public review that uses a public-health lens and mental-health professionals. “Please set a date for a meeting,” she said, pressing the council for a public discussion and for reengaging the Voices of Equity Task Force.

Other public commenters—including a clergy leader and family members—reiterated calls for timely, trauma-informed family notification, clearer crisis protocols and clinician-led responses. One speaker who identified himself only as Mike described seeking help during a crisis and said the system did not always respond in a way that keeps people safe: “We can change. We can learn from this loss,” he said.

City counsel responded during the meeting that the city’s social-media settings allow comments on posts and that the city does not delete comments from its accounts; counsel also said City Manager Ryan Waller reached out to the Bernard family’s representatives on March 13 and is working to set a meeting in April involving regional partners to address concerns raised.

Why it matters: Residents at the meeting framed the issues as systemic—calling not only for individual accountability but for policy change: consistent use-of-force standards across jurisdictions, explicit co-responder or clinician-led crisis teams, mandatory crisis-intervention training, and protocols that protect grieving families from retraumatizing public releases of footage.

What’s next: City counsel said the manager is organizing a meeting in April with regional partners and family representatives to discuss next steps. Commenters asked the council to report back publicly on agreed changes and timelines.

Sources: Public comments and council remarks at the March 19, 2026 Marion City Council meeting.