Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Social Services topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council delays decision on restoring $30,000 to MCSA after questions about staffing and accounting

Muscatine City Council · March 18, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Councilmembers debated whether to restore $30,000 to Muscatine Community Services Agency (MCSA). Some members urged short-term restoration; others raised process concerns and questioned whether a second housing navigator had been hired. MCSA said the second position became vacant in October and is being recruited; the council agreed to revisit the item at a future meeting.

The Muscatine City Council on March 17 debated whether to restore $30,000 to Muscatine Community Services Agency (MCSA) funding that had been cut from the draft budget.

Councilmember Gordon urged restoring the money for this year, noting the request represents "less than point 12% of our general fund" and suggesting one‑year funding with no guarantee for the following year. Councilmember Brockert and others opposed immediate restoration, citing a lack of timely documentation and concerns about whether a second housing navigator previously funded by the city had been hired.

Jason Dornbusch, MCSA program director, said MCSA has one housing navigator in place who supports the homeless prevention program; a second navigator became vacant in October and MCSA has posted the position and is interviewing applicants. Dornbusch also said the city contract covers only a portion of one navigator's costs and that MCSA's fiscal year timing affects carryover funds.

"We have had 2 housing navigators until just recently... it was in October when that position became vacant, and we have had that position posted and are actively interviewing," Dornbusch said.

Councilmembers asked for documentation showing how prior city funds were used and confirmation of current staffing before restoring funding. Several members indicated they would remain opposed without such documentation. The council did not take a final vote but agreed to return the issue to a future meeting (April 7 or a special meeting) to allow time for additional information to be provided.

The item affects local homeless-prevention services and will be reconsidered with supporting documents.