Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Homelessness Entry System topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Newport News, Hampton weigh AI screening, redesigned front-end after 4Kids hotline phase-out
Summary
City staff told council the 4Kids-run crisis hotline will be phased out and that Newport News and Hampton plan to lead a redesigned regional front-end entry to homelessness services, including exploring an AI tool as a 24/7 triage before warm handoffs to providers.
Get email alerts on the Homelessness Entry System topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Newport News City Manager Alan told council on April 14 that the crisis emergency hotline previously run by a nonprofit (4Kids) is being phased out, and that Newport News and the city of Hampton are taking the lead on interim and longer-term alternatives to ensure 24/7 access to homelessness resources.
Why it matters: The scheduled transition of the hotline could leave a gap in first-contact options for residents seeking homelessness help; council and staff discussed a regional coordinated-entry redesign and an AI-assisted preliminary screening as possible ways to maintain continuous access and to streamline referrals to human services.
What staff described Alan said the position papers outline two related efforts: a redesigned front-end entry process for the Virginia Peninsula, and exploration of technological tools to support that entry. He explained the 4Kids-operated crisis emergency hotline will be "transitioned and phased out of service," prompting localities to identify alternatives.
Deputy Ginger Bluntmore described 4 Oaks as an existing access point that connects people into the city's housing-management information system (HMIS) and supportive services. She said the intent of the AI tool under consideration is to provide a 24/7 first stop and then route callers to a warm handoff with a human service worker: "It's still a warm hand off, to someone when we do get back into services and to supports to wrap around." Staff emphasized coordinated entry must be improved and streamlined before scaling other supports.
Regional coordination and next steps Alan said Newport News and Hampton are partnering with other Peninsula localities and working from a concept paper informed by a recent trip to Salt Lake City to see different models. He said staff will develop and return concept papers and position materials to spur public response and further council discussion. Councilmembers asked for more details on back-end wraparound services and long-term supports; staff said those are topics for future sessions.
Unresolved questions Council and staff did not adopt a final operating plan during the work session. The AI screening concept and the redesigned front-end remain proposals; implementation details, costs and vendor-selection steps were not specified in the session and will be addressed in future staff reports and concept papers.
What's next Staff will circulate the concept paper and return with more detailed recommendations. The council requested continued coordination with Hampton and other Peninsula localities before formal program decisions.
