Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Election Primary topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Janesville council cancels Feb. 17 primary, advances eight candidates to April 7 ballot
Summary
The Janesville City Council voted 5–2 on Jan. 9 to cancel a planned Feb. 17 primary and place all eight certified council candidates on the April 7, 2026 municipal ballot after debate over cost, candidate vetting and voter information.
Get email alerts on the Election Primary topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Janesville City Council voted 5–2 on Jan. 9 to cancel a scheduled Feb. 17 primary and instead forward all eight certified candidates to the April 7, 2026 municipal election.
Council members debated whether a primary would meaningfully narrow the field and whether the municipal cost was justified. "I don't think that it's necessary, and I think it would save the taxpayers approximately $17,000," said Council member Williams after making the motion to cancel the primary and advance all eight candidates; Council member Nino seconded the motion.
Supporters of cancelling the primary said the vote would conserve city funds and allow voters to see the full candidate field in April. "I don't see the point in spending money to narrow a field by 2 candidates," Council member Nino said, arguing that past elections had handled similar candidate numbers without a preliminary ballot.
Opponents said a primary can help voters learn about candidates and narrow crowded slates for more effective forums. "I do think it's worth the consideration" and "the benefit to the voters to actually get to know these people earlier in the process," Council member Erdman said, outlining concerns that incumbents' name recognition could advantage certain candidates and that a primary can winnow one-issue candidates.
Clerk Treasurer Lauren Stottler said she could not confirm a questioned candidate address during the meeting. "I unfortunately had to come home today... and so I don't have access to the documentation to actually see that," Stottler said when asked about a listed address of 5030 North Orchard View Drive; she added that signatures had been verified but that she needed to confirm the residence to determine eligibility.
President Burdick summarized the debate before a roll-call vote and the council recorded five yes votes and two no votes, with Council members Erdman and Miller voting no. The council then moved on to routine announcements and adjourned.
The result means no primary will be held Feb. 17; the eight candidates will appear on the April 7, 2026 ballot. The clerk's office retains responsibility for final candidate eligibility verification and any referrals related to nomination-form validity.
