Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Youth Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
NAACP youth and students tell council they were singled out at local bakery; call for protections
Summary
Two youth members of the Greater Bridgeport NAACP Youth Council said students have been singled out and recorded at a local bakery, urging the city to ensure young people can access public places without harassment; the council heard multiple personal accounts during public comment.
Get email alerts on the Youth Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Two youth members of the Greater Bridgeport NAACP Youth Council used public comment time at the March 2 meeting to describe incidents in which students said they had been singled out, taunted or recorded at a local bakery.
"Students should be able to go where they want in our city... and not be taunted by adults or local leaders," said Sean Nicholas, a youth council member. Anthony, another youth speaker, repeated concerns that students had been singled out and urged community conversation and respectful advocacy rather than public shaming.
The speakers said they discussed the incidents at a recent youth council meeting and requested follow‑up meetings between youth and city leaders. Their comments framed the issue as one of safety and dignity: both speakers said they did not want students to be recorded without parental permission and asked adults to listen.
Council members in the meeting did not offer an immediate policy response; the comments were recorded during the public speaking portion and the Chair closed that segment and moved to the regular agenda. The speakers asked the council and the mayor’s office to facilitate dialogue between youth and community leaders.
What happens next: the remarks were entered into the meeting record and the youth urged further conversations and possible meetings to address the reported incidents.

