Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Parks Recreation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents push to reopen Jay Littleton Park; local designer offers $1.75 million plan
Summary
Multiple residents urged the council to reopen Jay Littleton Park and adhere to an earlier master plan; Gary Littleton offered a $1.75 million design proposal from Southern Bleachers and said he could share plans with city staff.
Get email alerts on the Parks Recreation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents attending the April 7 meeting pressed the Ontario City Council to reopen Jay Littleton Park and adhere to previously developed master-plan concepts.
Chris Robles told the council the city “has the money to open J Littleton Park now” and urged officials to spend previously reallocated funds to repair and reopen the park for children. Several other residents echoed the call. Melinda Boss noted a master plan posted on the city website (she cited pages 126–127) that includes shelters, a skate park, a native garden, multi-use fields and a splash pad; she asked the council to stick to that plan and to publish the community feedback collected during outreach.
Gary Littleton said he had contacted Southern Bleachers, a Texas company, and presented a preliminary estimate of about $1,750,000 for rebuilding the ballpark with aluminum construction and bleachers that would seat about 400 people. “I got this. I got it in writing. I got the plans. I got pictures of what the park would look like,” he said, and asked where to submit those materials for council review.
Speakers asked the council to explore reopening the park quickly rather than waiting for lengthy reconstruction or conversion to other amenities; no formal vote on reopening or funding was taken at this meeting. Residents asked staff to accept submitted plans and to provide clearer timelines for implementing the master plan.
