Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety Proclamation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents urge Erie council to adopt a public-safety proclamation after name-disclosure concerns

Town of Erie Town Council · April 7, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Three public commenters urged the Town Council to adopt a public-safety proclamation addressing fears about ICE activity and said a council member publicly tied a community member's name to a draft initiative without consent, creating safety concerns.

Anna Clark, who said she lives in District 2, urged the Town Council to adopt a public-safety proclamation to address residents' fears about Immigration and Customs Enforcement activity after describing family members who are afraid to visit because of possible enforcement actions. "My mother worries about me because I'm speaking out," Clark said, recounting an episode in which her mother would not visit because she feared being detained. Clark asked council to "consider a proclamation of safety to show that our elected local leaders understand the fear and strain our community of color are under."

At the same public-comment period, a speaker identifying herself as Laurel said she had been invited to provide confidential feedback on a draft initiative called "Areas for Everyone" and criticized a council member for publicly linking a community member's full name to the draft without consent. "When you mentioned that initiative, you provided the first and last name of the community member without their consent," Laurel said, warning that doing so "causes a great deal of risk to a person of color and their child."

Shannon Milliken, who said she is not an Erie resident but has worked in the community and whose full name had been shared publicly at a prior meeting, said she had not requested an inclusivity proclamation and instead urged a public-safety proclamation that would be read aloud at the council's April 21 meeting. "When my name is used publicly without preparation or consent, it places both of us in a very vulnerable position," Milliken said. She said she would provide a draft proclamation for the council to sponsor quickly.

The presiding official acknowledged the distinction between an inclusivity statement and a public-safety proclamation and apologized for the earlier disclosure, saying it was unintentional and that he would "correct the record." The comments came during the council's public-comment period and prompted requests that staff and council clarify how confidential feedback is handled when residents are asked to consult on draft initiatives.

Why it matters: Council statements and any formal proclamation could affect perceptions of safety among residents and shape how the town communicates about community engagement. The speakers tied the request to concrete past incidents in which names were shared publicly and asked the council to take a formal, public step to reassure residents.

What happens next: Speakers asked the council to place a public-safety proclamation on the April 21 agenda; council members agreed to add related discussion to a future agenda, and staff said they would work with the mayor to correct the prior disclosure and review procedures for confidential outreach.