Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Disaster Recovery topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

St. Louis recovery office plans sharp ramp-up of demolitions and repairs but warns of funding gap

St. Louis City Budget & Public Employees Committee · March 26, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City recovery officials told the Budget & Public Employees Committee on March 25 that demolition and repair operations will scale rapidly — targeting 250'075 demolitions by August and 150'00 rapid repairs by October — while noting a residual funding exposure they expect to reduce as FEMA and state reimbursements arrive.

St. Louis City recovery officials presented a sweeping update on March 25 to the Budget & Public Employees Committee on how Grama settlement interest funds and other allocations are being used to accelerate tornado recovery work across North St. Louis.

Julian Nicks, chief in the mayor's Office recovery team, said the office is sharpening its focus on two priorities: improving residents'ability to navigate recovery supports and delivering visible neighborhood recovery through demolition and home repairs. "Our top priority ... is on visible neighborhood recovery, really focusing on scaling demolition and repairs on private property," Nicks said. He told the committee the team has a plan to demolish about 250 to 275 structures by August and to begin ramping rapid-repair work in April.

Jennifer Brinkman, director of Recovery Innovation, outlined direct resident services and case-management work. She said the city's outreach has enrolled more than 1,300 people in disaster case management and that rental-assistance spending is accelerating: "There's significant acceleration in the rental assistance program in particular with $1,200,000 already spent on leases of the 112 approved," Brinkman said.

Laura, who identified herself as an SLDC employee leading repaired-properties work, said the private-property assistance intake closed Feb. 28 with roughly 2,700 applications: about 2,700 stabilization/repair applications, roughly 220 applicants requesting demolition, and about 200 needing debris-only removal. She said city windshield surveys now list about 1,700 structures in the tornado zone as potentially requiring demolition; roughly 500 of those are LRA-owned and about 1,200 are privately owned, of which roughly 200 submitted demolition applications.

On repair capacity and standards, Laura described the new rapid-repair program''and a "wrap" subcomponent meant to stabilize homes while they await full repairs. She said the program will start with a limited number of crews and expand contractor capacity over time. "We are currently working with a cap of $50,000 per property," she said, adding that the cap covers construction only and that the office will sequence work (envelope, primary rooms, preservation) if the cap is insufficient to complete every element.

Jim Hill, chief cost recovery officer, laid out the financial picture. He said city-managed funds under the recovery pipeline total $138 million; the city has spent about $63 million of that to date and expects to reach roughly $100 million by June and $120 million by September as demolition and repair activity scales. Hill said the city has awarded $47.5 million through several board bills and has contracted $36.5 million of that, with $17 million spent. He reported FEMA had previously obligated $26.7 million of projects and that the city had received approximately $9.6 million this week. "Our net exposure at the March will be about $20,000,000," Hill said, adding the office expects to reduce that net exposure over the coming months and that the net out-of-pocket cost to the city will be in the low millions when reimbursements settle.

Committee members pressed staff on details including how many of the target demolitions are FEMA-eligible, how many demolitions the city has already completed, and how contractor capacity will expand. Staff said the 250'075 demolition target primarily covers FEMA-ineligible properties and that the city can proceed on LRA-owned buildings without the formal condemnation process. Laura said the city had escalated about 10 demolitions to emergency status and had contracted approximately 41 emergency demolitions to date. She said the city's prioritization will focus on imminent public-safety risks, core corridors and then denser residential blocks.

Officials repeatedly emphasized reliance on state and federal reimbursement streams while acknowledging gaps that may require city-side contingency funding. Hill said additional board-bill action and appropriation requests will be needed for stabilization, repair and case-management work beyond current allocations.

The meeting concluded with a public-comment period in which dozens of residents and organizers urged the committee to prioritize rapid home repairs, center recovery spending on residents and community-run organizations in North St. Louis, and direct Grama settlement interest funds to local recovery partners.

What's next: recovery staff said they will continue mobilizing contracts for hazardous tree and stump removal, sidewalk repair and FEMA-eligible demolition; they will execute the $10 million SB1 pilot for FEMA-ineligible demolition and the $14 million home-repair contracts overseen by the city's construction-management contractor, SLS Co. The committee scheduled a follow-up meeting in late April and the chair committed to hold that session in an impacted neighborhood.