Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Unsafe Building topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Board affirms inspector findings for 201 North Court Street, authorizes demolition bidding
Summary
At an unsafe-building hearing, the board affirmed city inspectors' finding that 201 North Court Street poses a public-safety risk and authorized the legal department to solicit demolition bids; the owner has engaged insurers and a private engineer but the board said public safety requires moving forward.
Get email alerts on the Unsafe Building topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
A Crown Point City hearing on May 6 resulted in the Board of Public Works and Safety affirming city building inspectors’ findings that the commercial structure at 201 North Court Street is unsafe and authorizing legal staff to solicit bids to demolish it.
The building inspector, identified in the record as Brad West, told the board the structure’s "center portion has caved in" and that brick deterioration and interior ceiling collapse present a risk to passersby. West said the city had posted notices and placed barricades on the south side of the building because of the risk to pedestrians. He presented photographs and an inspection report documenting progressive collapse and deterioration.
Mayor (chair) staff said he had spoken with the owner, Mr. Graves, earlier in the day. The owner, through the mayor’s update, told the board he had notified his insurer and hired a private structural engineer; there had been no final disposition between the owner and insurer by the time of the hearing.
Board members pressed staff on timing and interim safety measures. One member asked whether a more secure pedestrian fence could be installed in the short term; staff said temporary interlocking pedestrian fencing was available and could supplement existing barricades, but noted placement and traffic flow near the busy sidewalk would be a consideration.
The city attorney’s representative and the building department explained the statutory notice process and the steps required before demolition, including preparing findings, serving owners, recording the order and soliciting bids. Staff said additional complications such as asbestos remediation could affect the schedule.
After discussion, the board voted to affirm the building inspector’s order and to authorize the legal department to proceed with soliciting bids for demolition. Staff estimated that, depending on bid timing and remediation needs, onsite demolition could begin in roughly 60–90 days but cautioned the timeline was subject to required notices and potential hazardous-material abatement.
The board directed staff to maintain a focus on public safety while continuing to coordinate with the owner and his engineer. The motion carried by voice vote.

