Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Wildfire Cottonwood topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Region 51 emergency manager: Cottonwood Fire contained after destroying three homes, damaging dozens of outbuildings
Summary
Region 51 Emergency Manager Brandon Myers told the Lincoln County Board that the Cottonwood Fire, which began March 12, has reached 100% containment but produced serious losses: three homes destroyed, two damaged, about 40 outbuildings lost and substantial livestock mortality; response included federal incident command and aircraft.
Get email alerts on the Wildfire Cottonwood topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Brandon Myers, the Region 51 emergency manager, told the Lincoln County Board of Commissioners on April 6 that the Cottonwood Fire, which began March 12, has been brought to 100% containment but left significant damage in its wake. "So this is big. We need more resources," Myers said, describing high winds, low humidity and canyon-driven fire behavior that caused rapid growth and multiple flare-ups.
Myers said first reports placed the fire about three miles north of Government Pocket Road at roughly 3:29 p.m. on March 12. Within hours mutual aid arrived from numerous departments across the region and the county requested state and federal help. Conditions that worsened spread included gusts reported near 45 mph and humidity in the low teens and single digits. Myers said crews were unable to fly aircraft during the initial night because of wind, and later used single-engine air tankers and helicopters once conditions allowed.
The emergency manager reported evacuations around Jeffrey Reservoir and Farnam in Dawson County, and said crews eventually established containment lines after a complex, multi‑agency response that included a Rocky Mountain Incident Management Team. "The majority of that fire, as you can see on that map, we were able to get it in the black," Myers said, noting persistent hot spots and several nighttime re‑ignitions that required targeted helicopter and hand‑crew work.
Myers gave an initial damage tally: three homes completely destroyed, two homes damaged, and roughly 40 outbuildings lost. He said reports of livestock losses varied; the number of sheep and goats killed was unclear but could be substantial, and the county expected some livestock mortality from smoke and respiratory illness. He noted, however, that there were no reported human fatalities or injuries. "That's always a bonus," he observed.
On cause, Myers told the board the state fire marshal had been unable to pinpoint an exact ignition site because the fire burned over and destroyed potential evidence. "The cause of this fire is still undetermined," he said.
Myers praised the food, volunteer and logistical response at the county fairgrounds and credited Hot Meals USA and hundreds of local and out‑of‑state volunteers; county officials estimated in excess of 20,000 meals served to responders and displaced residents during the response. He also noted continuing uncertainty about state reimbursement timing and said the county had signed an emergency declaration to preserve eligibility for federal and state assistance.
Board members asked several operational questions about evacuated areas, road closures and resource staging. The board later approved a separate motion to authorize Myers to attend the International Association of Emergency Management conference in Long Beach in November 2026.
The county continues to monitor remaining hot spots and coordinate with state and federal partners on after‑action reviews and reimbursement. Myers said weather forecasts included a chance of dry lightning during the next storm window, so crews and incident management teams remained vigilant.

