Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Street Closure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Second Harvest Food Bank granted street closure for Soup Crawl to ease pedestrian congestion
Summary
Second Harvest's request to close about 11 parking spaces on the block between Adams and Charles streets for an Oct. 1 Soup Crawl was approved by the board after the applicant said crowding near Arts Walk and Ball State's Design Hub made the area unsafe.
Get email alerts on the Street Closure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Muncie Board of Public Works and Safety approved a street-closure request on May 6 from Second Harvest Food Bank of East Central Indiana to support the Soup Crawl event on Oct. 1.
CS Hendershot, director of development marketing at Second Harvest Food Bank, told the board she "cochair[s] the Soup Crawl" and requested the closure after last year's event created pedestrian congestion and forced attendees "into the street" on the block between Adams and Charles streets. Hendershot said the closure would remove "about 11 parking spaces" and that organizers might not need to close all of them, but want the block in front of stores cleared for safety, noting nearby draws including the Arts Walk and the Ball State Design Hub.
Paula Mauer moved to approve the application for Oct. 1; the motion was seconded and carried by voice vote. Chair said paperwork would be signed following the meeting so organizers could pick up documents.
The closure is intended to reduce conflicts between pedestrians and vehicles on a congested block during the event; organizers and staff will complete the required documents and follow city procedures for street closures.

