Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Sewer Infrastructure topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents tell Aberdeen council repeated manhole backups have ruined their basement; staff to follow up

City of Aberdeen City Council · March 17, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Brian and Kaylee Lloyd told the City of Aberdeen council they’ve spent more than $8,000 repeatedly snaking a shared manhole that backs into their basement and cited contractor estimates of $25,000–$50,000 to reroute piping; staff said they will revisit prior inspections and work with the family to identify options and follow up.

Brian and Kaylee Lloyd described recurring sewer backups that repeatedly flood their basement, saying a neighborhood manhole that collects multiple properties’ sewer regularly becomes clogged and they are often the first to be affected. The Lloyds said private contractors have charged them more than $8,000 to snake lines and that they received a reconstruction estimate they characterized as “$25,000–$50,000.”

The Lloyds asked the council what the city could do to clarify maintenance responsibility and to reduce the financial burden on their household. Brian Lloyd said the clogged manhole sits near property lines and the plumbing converges there before entering the city system, and that the uncertainty about whether the manhole is private or public has blocked a straightforward solution.

Council members and staff acknowledged the problem and described prior site visits and conversations. Mayor Shaaman and staff said Jeremy and Stu from city operations have previously met the Lloyds and that city staff will review prior notes, meet with the family again, and follow up by phone and email. Stu noted there are other private or shared sewer configurations in town and said resolving the Lloyds’ problem may require significant work.

The Lloyds told council they lack funds for a full reconstruction and asked whether alternatives to a full reroute existed. Staff committed to revisit the site and evaluate options short of a full property excavation, then return with recommended next steps. The council did not take formal action at the meeting; staff will report back to the Lloyds and the council.

Ending: The Lloyds left contact information and the city said staff (Jeremy and Dave) will follow up; no timetable was set during the meeting.